- Cafe Hayek - http://cafehayek.com -
Does Capitalism and Industry Really Make Our Environment Dirtier and More Dangerous?
Posted By Don Boudreaux On April 22, 2005 @ 12:53 pm In Myths and Fallacies | Comments Disabled
Check out this political cartoon  appear today — "Earth Day" — in the Christian Science Monitor.
Here’s a letter that I sent in response:
22 April 2005
Editor, The Christian Science Monitor
Clay Bennett’s Earth Day cartoon shows scissors (labeled “White House”) recklessly slicing through environmental statutes. Without here questioning the merits of the statutes or the reality of the slicing, I plead for protection of a most endangered resource: perspective. Pause for a moment to appreciate just how clean and safe our everyday environments are compared to those of our ancestors.
- Refrigeration keeps our food free of bacterial pollution;
- indoor plumbing immediately whisks away our own waste;
- household detergents clean our homes of germs and grime;
- automobiles keep our streets clean of horse manure and the swarms of flies it attracts;
- antibiotics and other medicines protect our bodies from many diseases, such as tuberculosis, that were major killers just a century ago.
In fact, our everyday lives are more sanitary and healthier today than at any time in history.
Donald J. Boudreaux
Chairman, Department of Economics
George Mason University
Article printed from Cafe Hayek: http://cafehayek.com
URL to article: http://cafehayek.com/2005/04/does_capitalism.html
URLs in this post:
 this political cartoon: http://www.csmonitor.com/commentary/index.html
 Image: http://www.blinklist.com/index.php?Action=Blink/addblink.php&Url=http%3A%2F%2Fcafehayek.com%2F2005%2F04%2Fdoes_capitalism.html&Title=Does%20Capitalism%20and%20Industry%20Really%20Make%20Our%20Environment%20Dirtier%20and%20More%20Dangerous%3F
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
Copyright © 2011 CafeHayek.com. All rights reserved.