The sound of the world's smallest violin

by Russ Roberts on February 25, 2009

in Politics

I'm playing it now for Senator Byrd. (HT: Drudge)

Comments

comments

Adam February 25, 2009 at 12:27 pm

"Byrd is a stern constitutional scholar"

Really? Has he even heard of Article I, Section 8?

John Pertz February 25, 2009 at 12:33 pm

That blurb under the Byrd photo is eerily reminiscent of a propaganda piece coming from a news daily in a dictatorship. OMG!!!

What kind of news source is this politico that it would drive them to write such nonsense?

"Senator Byrd is a stern constitutional scholar"? What constitution? The Constitution of I Endorse Defrauding Tax Payers to Further My Political Career?

LOL

MnM February 25, 2009 at 12:36 pm

He gets no sympathy from me, but it IS a power grab…

Sam Grove February 25, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I once called Bryd the "Willie Brown" of West Virginia.

DAVE February 25, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I can't help myself, so here goes:

“I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side… Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.”

— Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944, [3][7]

Methinks February 25, 2009 at 1:33 pm

That's the one! Although, I have to admit that I love it when they fight. There's nothing more scary than a pack of politicians agreeing with each other.

Kevin February 25, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Even if it's futile, I do like to see the various branches struggling for power. At least we see the shadows of some of the framers' checks.

Also, I'm having more RSS feed problems. Had to navigate here the old fashioned way.

vidyohs February 25, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Re: Obama's Czars……the Bolshevik revolution begins.

Poor Byrd, a Menshevik on the way to the Gulag. Couldn't happen to a better asshole.

Methinks February 25, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Dave, you're not suggesting that it's possible there are racists among the Democrats, are you? It is well known throughout the land that only Republicans are racists – and ALL republicans to boot. Why, I'm sure even Condi Rice is racist.

DAVE February 25, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Methinks

The story makes the point of informing us that he criticized Bush. Hurray. This guy has been around for half a century now. I wonder how much of the chastising has been of Democrat presidents up to this point.

brotio February 26, 2009 at 1:21 am