The Chords of Freedom

by Don Boudreaux on July 28, 2009

in Cooperation, Health, Nanny State, Property Rights, Reality Is Not Optional, Risk and Safety, Seen and Unseen

Here's a great example of why I so deeply admire and respect John Stossel.

Comments

comments

vidyohs July 28, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Don,

I admire and respect Stossel equally, and I admire and respect you, Roberts, Williams, et. al. for being the clear thinkers and writers that you are.

I admire the guts you all show in speaking plain truths on subjects most people won't touch with a ten foot pole.

I just have one question. Why do you et. al. spend so much time objecting to and dissecting the minute ways the socialist among us have limited liberty, and just simply go for the throat. It is obvious that the socialist want to deny choice. This choice, that choice, all choice.

They want and with a filibuster free congress, and the white house, they can now do just that, eliminate choice and we will do it their way.

Our only hope for some minute temporary relief is that the egos of the speaker, the majority leader, and the president will all clash sufficiently to prevent fast and deadly attack on we the sheeple.

Crusader July 28, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I think people should have the right to do what they want with their own bodies. However, it's delusional to think that selling a kidney is anything but an utterly desperate act. God gave us 2 kidneys for a reason.

Incuhed July 28, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Did God give us our appendix, wisdom teeth, and coccyx as well? I'd like to donate those.

SheetWise July 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm

"Here's a great example of why I so deeply admire and respect John Stossel."

I agree. For me, ABC's stock rises and falls with their treatment of Stossel. And I know I'm not alone. Wonder why they can't figure that out …

SheetWise July 28, 2009 at 10:22 pm

"I just have one question. Why do you et. al. spend so much time objecting to and dissecting the minute ways the socialist among us have limited liberty, and just simply go for the throat."

I don't get that question. Did you mean — "and NOT just simply go for the throat"?

vidyohs July 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Sheetwise,

It would have been better said your way. Thank you.

Crusader July 29, 2009 at 1:42 am

SheetWise – on the libertarian side, we don't get the luxury of "going for the throat" with the MSM on the socialist's side. We have to explain ourselves with air-tight logic.

vikingvista July 29, 2009 at 3:00 am

Stossel is an uncommonly good man. There are far too few like him.

SaulOhio July 29, 2009 at 6:40 am

Crusader: What do you mean "However, it's delusional to think that selling a kidney is anything but an utterly desperate act." In the article, John Stossel uses the word "desperate" four times to describe the people who buy kidneys, and sometimes even the ones who sell them. Nobody is pretending anything. Stossel and others calling for free markets are simply arguing that people should be free to act on their desperation!

Randy July 29, 2009 at 7:34 am

SaulOhio,

You beat me to it. If I was selling a kidney, I would ask a very high price. Enough to retire at the very least.

indiana jim July 29, 2009 at 10:48 am