Two Videos

by Don Boudreaux on April 3, 2011

in Balance of Payments, Economics, Trade, Video

Reason’s Nick Gillespie interviews my courageous, myth-slaying colleague Walter Williams (who just a few days ago celebrated his 75th birthday – Happy Birthday, Walter!  Please hang around for at least another 75 more.)

A couple of weeks ago, Dan Ikenson, Scott Lincicome, and I each delivered some brief remarks on trade and the trade deficit at a Cato Institute event on Capitol Hill.

Comments

comments

Krishnan April 3, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Well Don … I’ll raise your 75 years to say 100 years! Great interview indeed … one of the “ultimate resource” we have – ideas and more ideas

vikingvista April 3, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Happy birthday and thanks to a man who helped guide my young mind.

Marcus April 3, 2011 at 8:44 pm

That was an excellent interview of William Walters. I think Nick Gillespie does a good job interviewing people.

Don Boudreaux April 3, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I agree.

Scott G April 4, 2011 at 1:34 am

Fantastic interview of Walter Williams. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Here’s a quote that stuck out for me:

“Obama’s Presidency hasn’t meant very much for the black community. I don’t see any big changes. I don’t see lower crime rates. I don’t see greater high school graduation rates. In general, I don’t think there’s much progress that blacks can make through the political arena.”

I would ask, who can make progress in the political arena? I believe the incremental progress that we do make is when each individual realizes that governments provide poor service. Making government as small as possible would allow for the maximum amount of progress.

Here’s another quote:

“I don’t think black people can afford for the first black President to be a failure and he has every indication of being a failure, like the Carter administration.”

I have to add that I don’t even hear President Obama talking much about the black community. If President Obama really cared about the black community, he would at least mention how destructive the minimum wage law is to the black community. It would take one minute of his time! On this point alone I would say that Obama has been failure.

W.P. Kelpfroth April 4, 2011 at 9:37 am

Most of the comments I see on this blog preach to the choir.
I challenge all of you to confront liberal thought in a clear and persuasive way. For example, I read the articles on http://www.washingtonpolicywatch.org and try to point out the inconsistency in their thought. I like to think that the pushback is worth it and invite all of you to join me.

Scott G April 4, 2011 at 11:51 am

Great comment, however I think the pushback you’re talking about may not worth be worth it for many of us. Can you describe why you think it is worth it? It might be worth it, but I’d like to hear your argument.

I’m not even sure that Don believes it’s worth it.