The Guardian looks at the rap videos

by Russ Roberts on May 25, 2011

in Music

The Guardian’s podcast talks to me about the Keynes/Hayek rap videos. My part starts at the 24:53 mark.

Comments

comments

Mao_Dung May 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Capitalist don’t fear the government because they control it. The wealthy don’t fear taxation because they pay too little and reap the benefits of exploitation and taxation of poor and working classes. Capitalist don’t fear “excess” regulation because they just lobby to remove necessary regulation that gets in their way. Capitalist don’t even fear “the boom and the bust” because it is just another way to exploit working people by taking unfair advantage of a crisis. So, what do capitalist really, truly fear? Answer below.

A BOYCOTT. Therefore, in order to bring the capitalists to heel and to their knees, consumers must begin to organize boycotts in earnest. BOYCOTT EVERYTHING. Much more can be said but since this isn’t my blog. I will leave you with that thought for the day for now. BOYCOTT EVERYTHING!

BonnieBlueFlag May 25, 2011 at 5:28 pm

You are talking about corporatism or “crony capitalism,” not genuine laissez-faire capitalism.

Mao_Dung May 25, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I’m talking about a return to libertarian self-sufficiency to defeat the evils of capitalism. Libertarians should be rugged individualists instead of pampered capitalists. I’m fighting for true libertarianism; I gave up on Bush and Reagan Republicanism when I was about your age. It was just a phase (a bad dream) I went through.

Steve_0 May 25, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I’ll take pampered capitalist, thank you.

Chris May 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Hope your food, fuel, and electricity boycott goes well.

Sam Grove May 25, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I gave up on Bush and Reagan Republicanism when I was about your age.

You were on that wagon?

Mao_Dung May 25, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Yes, because I couldn’t see the big picture. The Soviet Union and China represented a hegemonic threat to my young eyes. There was some true to that idea with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Anyway, as poverty grows capitalism will have to wane. That is because the purchasing power of the poor is limited. Poverty is an automatic boycott on capitalists. So this generation of thieving capitalists will cut short the success of future entrepreneurs. Without innovation the system will eventually dry up, sort of like a collapsing universe. A 2nd big bang will probably be a revolt against the slavery of mass impoverishment.

dsylexic May 26, 2011 at 7:41 am

arent the poor already ‘boycotting’? they have no means to buy,according to you,so why would evil capitalists try to sell to them. they would try to sell stuff to the other capitalists who cant have enough of anything.imagine 3000 pairs of shoes and still panting when the new blahnik is out.

SaulOhio May 27, 2011 at 7:52 am

They would each have to buy millions of shoes.

Mass production is production for the masses. The masses which according to Mao Dung don’t have any money.

vikingvista May 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm

You have causality backwards. As capitalism wanes, poverty grows.

Methinks1776 May 26, 2011 at 12:12 pm

“I suspect they raised money [for the rap video] in some less than free market ways.” (or something to that effect)

WHAT? Was the money not raised entirely through private donations?

Did you and John Papola hold Uzis to people’s heads to fund this thing?

Frank May 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm

There is nothing evil in capitalism, unless you consider freedom to be evil.

Corporatism is evil, but that is socialism.

Menger->Mises->Hayek->Mundell! May 26, 2011 at 4:12 pm

The way to capitalism and freedom is honest money, no? Good stuff on what is Honest Money and how to get there from an Austrian School perspective ala Mises, Menger and Hayek – “The Return to Honest Money” (http://fofoa.blogspot.com/2011/05/return-to-honest-money.html)