On WGN

by Russ Roberts on November 28, 2011

in Books, Media

I was interviewed on WGN radio today by Mike McConnell talking about The Price of Everything, Occupy Wall Street and a few other topics. You can listen here.

Comments

comments

Methinks1776 November 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Great interview, Russ. Thank you for sharing it. You have a remarkably disarming, calm demeanor that allows you to artfully plant the seeds in others’ minds without getting anyone’s back up. I am envious of that ability. I’ve tried to emulate it, but I remain a sword unsheathed, straight for the jugular kind of gal. How do you do it?

Nikolai Luzhin, Eastern Promises November 29, 2011 at 5:31 am

Methinks, lying well takes practice. Look at Newt and Cain

Russ Roberts November 29, 2011 at 6:18 am

Please don’t feed the troll. Leave him alone.

Nikolai Luzhin, Eastern Promises November 29, 2011 at 5:29 am

Russ,

Glad to see you running with the top dogs, intellectually.

Mike McConnell, a Glen Beck wanna be, had a national show that failed to acquire a nationwide audience, and a dwindling affiliate count resulted in Premiere quietly canceling the show’s syndicated run in February 2008.

muirge0 November 29, 2011 at 9:45 am

Glad to see you running with the top dogs, intellectually.

(Applause!)

Well spoken, Nik! I want you to know that I’ve always admired your posts for their sharply-honed, closely-reasoned logic. Whoever said that you were nothing but an “intellectual blank cartridge” didn’t know his ammunition! You’re a goddamned mental mortar shell, lad! KABOOM!! LOL!

I appreciate your letting me run in your pack, you studly alpha-male! Woof!! You can lift your leg and pee on me any time! I’m sticking by you! Yes, sireee . . .

. . . You’ll be seeing a lot more of me. I’d say, pretty much every time you post, I’ll be there, ready to step in and provide much needed commentary, review, and interpretation for the more intellectually sluggish (which — heh, heh — pretty much includes everyone on this site with the exception of you, me, Economic Freedom, and Invisible Backhand).

I may be a tiresome, ignorant, dyslexic, ungrammatical, old coot, but I won’t let you down. You can count on me, Nikky!

Adam Smith November 29, 2011 at 12:09 pm

For me, the top intellectual dog will always be Harlan Ellison’s dog Blood. Watch at www dot letmewatchthis dot ch/watch-3808-A-Boy-and-His-Dog

Readers of A Boy and His Dog know that Vic has committed horrifying crimes and intends to do so in future. The story simultaneously making it clear that Vic is the product of his environment and that he is almost completely ignorant about other possible ways to behave without excusing his crimes.

Vic knows he is not a “nice” person. He does not seem to know how anyone can care for anyone else. It would seem that what would benefit this boy most of all is to learn about love and interdependence. When Vic realizes what he previously understood only subconsciously, Vic is able to affirm his love and interdependence of himself and his dog.

That he does so by choosing his faithful dog, Blood, over the conniving Quilla June is the stroke of absurdist genius that makes this story an unforgettable punch to the cerebral cortex.

That is who one really is at the root. A boy and his dogma.

Adam Smith November 29, 2011 at 11:47 am

Good talk. This is exceedingly rare thinking.

Here is the typical bias-confirmational claptrap one finds in this field:

I believe there should be an unrestricted right to price everything except violence and property rights violations. I see no benefit or justification for blocking or perverting exchanges.

The only valid sphere for government action and mob-enforced social restriction is for murder, armed robbery, and other actions of violence and liberty endangerment performed with mens rea.

IMHO, one should select political and governmental philosophies on that criteria alone.

Kryx November 29, 2011 at 12:35 pm

McConnell has a great show and have enjoyed listening to him for the last 8 years or so. Perhaps Russ and him have something in common – little to no drama which is unlike most talk radio. Enjoyed it, Russ!