Commenting

by Russ Roberts on January 9, 2012

in Weblogs

After some discussion, Don and I are trying Facebook commenting. We’ll see how it goes. We know some of the drawbacks already. We’ll see if there are any advantages.

Comments

comments

Nickolaus January 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm

There’s no way I’m signing up for Facebook just to comment…

Michael E. Marotta January 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I am not on Facebook. I have a blog and a website. I participate in blogs such as this. I am active on a couple of Objectivist boards. I have been more active on numismatic discussion boards until recently. I also prefer “web mail” to a client such as Outlook or iMail. (I have both a Mac and PC.) Maybe I am a steam punk luddite, but I feel that I have more control this way. Facebook is probed by hackers all the time. It is notoriously insecure. And it is a huge target.

I like this medium. You will never open the New York Times to read:
“<Austrians Hacked. Anonymous released thousands of pointless, arcane, inane, abstruse and obtuse comments about Austrian economics and its place in the modern world. Affected sites include Cafe Hayek, The Unbroken Window, Carpe Diem, and Pretense of Knowledge. Said Cafe Hayek’s Prof. Russell Roberts, “Clearly, they were rent-seeking, but the marginal utlity of risk-taking entrepreneurship, versus the inefficiency of any attempt at Pigouvian redistribution, makes us all wonder why they invested the effort.” Carpe Diem’s Prof. Mark Perry said, “This is wonderful! It indicates a market for labor where none was expected. Unfortunately, the cost of increased security now prevents me from spending money on a vacation.” Prof. Michael “Wintercow” Rizzo of The Unbroken Window suggested that if Anonymous had more competitors, they would be forced to find greener pastures, but that government intervention gives them a de facto monopoly in hacking.

andy January 9, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Same with me; I don’t mind signing a ‘closed’ service (gmail/yahoo/etc. openid systems etc.), but I don’t want to be on facebook; writing a blog, sending emails – I am the one in control of my privacy. Facebook seems to be different, the others are in control. Some may like it, I don’t.

Clay January 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I say no to Facebook.

Don January 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I am glad comments are back.

I loved the “new” podcast! Keep up the good work.

Invisible Backhand January 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Is this really going to keep out the riff raff?