We need more such peaceful yet passionate resistance to Covid-19 lockdown tyranny. (HT David Henderson)
DBx: Too many Americans, like so many other people, have tragically come to accept that the only goal worth pursuing now is avoiding Covid-19. All other goals that might even potentially conflict with the supreme goal of Avoiding Covid are to be ignored until Covid-19 is wiped from the face of the earth.
The mindset now approaches this:
– No fate is as horrible as contracting Covid.
– Every Covid death is an unspeakable tragedy that could have been, and should have been, avoided, while every non-Covid death is a mere statistic the significance and sadness of which doesn’t begin to compare to that of any Covid death.
– No illness is as horrifying, as threatening, as gruesome as is Covid. To repeat: Contracting Covid is the worst fate that today can possibly befall any human being.
– No cost is too high to pay – no cost is too high to compel millions of people to pay – for even the tiniest reduction in the risk of some individual somewhere contracting Covid.
– And so for as long as anyone anywhere has a chance of testing positive for Covid that is higher than 0.000 percent, society must have one and only one goal: reduce this risk to zero. And, therefore, that supreme goal – the complete elimination of Covid-19 – is worth whatever its achievement might cost. To eliminate Covid, no amount of resource expenditure is too high; no amount of freedom is too much to crush; no amount of tyranny is too much to tolerate. Nothing – nothing – matters as much as doing all we can to keep Covid deaths to a minimum. It’s all that humanity now exists to do.
Covid derangement and the tyranny that it enables frighten me magnitudes more than has any other combination of public attitudes and government actions that I’ve ever experienced.
Covid itself scares me – a reasonably fit and life-long health-conscious 62 year old – not one bit more than I am scared by the seasonal flu, by my mild hypertension, or by driving in an automobile on rain-soaked roads. In contrast, Covid Derangement Syndrome – which is highly contagious and potentially very lethal on a massive scale – literally keeps me awake at night, terrorized by fear. The precedent that the Covid reaction has set will prove to be a terrible curse.