An Open Letter to Lou Dobbs

by Don Boudreaux on January 3, 2007

in Trade

Here — in the January 4, 2007, edition of the Christian Science Monitor  — I have an open letter to Lou Dobbs.

My concluding paragraph is below.  (The "Smith" I speak of is Adam Smith, although my colleague Vernon Smith is of the same mind.)

Smith correctly understood that with free trade, the economy becomes
larger than any one nation – a fact that brings more human creativity,
more savings, more capital, more specialization, more opportunity, more
competition, and a higher standard of living to all those who can
freely trade.

Comments

comments

Axel Kassel January 3, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Neatly done, Prof. Continue to smite the enemies of thinkology.

Ray G January 3, 2007 at 8:56 pm

Nice. Of course, Dobbs won't be swayed one bit, but it's good for the "masses" to be educated, especially in context or juxtaposition to Dobbs. Hopefully the casually educated will see Dobbs' name, and read it when they might not have otherwise done so.

John D. January 3, 2007 at 10:27 pm

I agree with Ray G. Don's letter is wise and important. A demogogue like Dobbs doesn't let the truth get in the way of his mission, but the more his foolishness is exposed, the better.

Geoffrey Brand January 4, 2007 at 2:17 pm

The link to this article comes up under the main opinion headlines section of Yahoo..

It should reach a much wider audience

Danuta January 5, 2007 at 4:55 pm

illigal must live USA , same way tay came here.
It is very simple i quick.
What about right for all legal and US citizens, if We go to Mexico, they will sent US back, once 3 months visa expire.
They won't ask questions, they will send US back!!!!!!!!!!!

Danuta January 5, 2007 at 5:01 pm

NO!!! to Social Security benefits, for illigal people from Mexico. They purchace or receive Social Security cards elligly, and this is a crime.
Current Governmen don't care for their own people, but want to GIVE money to illigal poeple from Mexico. Is this a joke, it is time, for US Americans to say NO, NO,NO!!!!!!!!!!. I can not believe, what I am hearing, this is a tragedy for US Amerivans.