Nuts

by Don Boudreaux on July 12, 2008

in Education, History

Jesse Jackson is now being
scolded – justifiably – for expressly wishing to cut off Barack Obama’s
balls.  But
come on: no one is surprised that the rhyming reverend envies persons
whose political skills are more potent than his own.  More importantly,
Rev. Jackson’s testy swipe at Sen. Obama is hardly his most
objectionable verbal emission.  That distinction goes, I suggest, to
Rev. Jackson’s 1988 protest jingle at Stanford University – to wit:
"Hey Hey, Ho Ho, Western Culture’s Got to Go."

With that little
jewel, Rev. Jackson expressed his wish to castrate the human mind from
much of the finest and most seminal learning available to it.

Comments

comments

Dan July 12, 2008 at 6:37 pm

And you'd like to see our historically white nation swamped with Mestizos. At least Jackson was upfront about his wish for our destruction.

BoscoH July 12, 2008 at 7:37 pm

The answer is 8. And "got to go" did not add to my count. Did I miss any? Very very punny Professor Boudreaux!!!

noahpoah July 12, 2008 at 8:17 pm

no one is surprised that the rhyming reverend envies persons whose political skills are more potent than his own.

This may be part of what motivated Jackson, but as has been pointed out (here, by a friend of mine, for example), an Obama presidency would do some damage to the livelihood of folks like Jesse Jackson and Reverend Wright, so we shouldn't be surprised when they act in ways detrimental to Obama's campaign.

noahpoah July 12, 2008 at 8:28 pm

And you'd like to see our historically white nation swamped with Mestizos.

Don't forget the Indians (Asian and Native American), Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Africans, Arabs, and Europeans. They're just as welcome to come and be productive members of our society as are the mestizos, in my (and I imagine Professor Boudreaux's) opinion.

Kevin Dick July 12, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Being a member of Stanford Class of 91 and a freshman in 87, I remember that infamous quote well. I believe we were the last or second to last class to fulfill a 1 year Western Culture requirement.

But rest easy. It's successor, Cultures, Ideas, and Values consisted of 98% identical curriculum when my brother experienced it two years later.

tiger July 13, 2008 at 6:17 am

All of this infighting and jockeying by the race hustlers and the greatest "new" politician. Where will of these guys go with their arguments when Obama is elected president? I mean, what happens when Obama is the "man"? Who do you say is holding you down then?

EclectEcon July 13, 2008 at 9:08 am

I was a fellow student with Jackson at the Chicago Theological Seminary in the late 1960s. I respected, admired, and participated in much of what he helped accomplish in the area of civil rights in Chicago during that era.

I lost that respect when he referred to NYC as "Hymie town", and I could not understand how this man who fought against racism could be such a racist himself.

It has been all downhill ever since then.

Matt July 13, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Jesse Jackson's mutterings are actually very positive for Obama. They suggest that a long-overdue generational shift is taking place: Jackson's generation saw the problems of black America as white America's fault; Obama (and Bill Cosby and Thomas Sowell and a few others) have the (may I say it?) balls to point out that at least some of black America's problem is the fault of its own dysfunctions.

Not that racism isn't real and not that white America doesn't put barriers in black Americans' path. But there is a level of personal responsibility that everyone in our country has to accept for the way his/her life unfolds. With this acknowledgement our country is poised to renew our social contract and make an epochal stride forward that will, among other things, make Jackson irrelevant. No wonder Jesse wants to cut them off.

vidyohs July 13, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Let there be no doubt that as the "reverend" jackson made his gaffe and so rapidly disavowed his words, those words being condemned across the spectrum by blacks and their declared support for Obama regardless of personal opinion…..that for the black people this presidential campaign is indeed "all about race".

Idi Amin could come back from the grave, replace Obama and the blacks would still vote for him.

Jon July 13, 2008 at 9:23 pm

"testy swipe"? Don, you're too much!

happyjuggler0 July 13, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Obama ought to be pleased at Jesse Jackson's remarks. I can pretty much guarantee you that Obama will win more votes in November because of it.

Hammer July 14, 2008 at 10:56 am

I think you will find that there is a VAST gap between the ideas of Obama and Sowell, and likely Cosby as well.
Obama rose to where he is spouting just the sort of venom Wright and Jackson do, not the wisdom of Sowell. That Obama is courting the middle now is only due to the fact he is in a general election, and needs more than the Democrat and black voting blocs.

Methinks July 14, 2008 at 12:40 pm

I agree with Hammer. I've read a lot of Sowell – including his autobiography – and I find absolutely nothing in common between the two except the colour of their skin.

And Vidyohs has a point as well. I recently read a story about black Republicans thinking about voting for Obama solely because of the colour of his skin. I can't think of a more racist reason. What happened to Martin Luther Kings dream that one day his children will be judged by the content of their character, not the colour of their skin? The truth is that racism is not the exclusive domain of whites but is a human condition and minorities have been given a license by white liberals to be extremely racist by arbitrarily deciding that minorities can't be racist by virtue of their minority status. Is it any wonder that race hustlers like Jesse Jackson and rev. Wright see no need to hold their tongues?

vidyohs July 15, 2008 at 6:11 am

Chicago produces some rare politicians/rabble rousers. Back in the early 90s Gus Savage, a congresscritter from Chicago, after being caught out with some outrageous Jesse Jackson type statements, told the MSM that "Black people can't be racist".

They let him slide on that one.

Then in 1996 I listened to a local, Houston, female black rabble rouser talk show host on our local communist radio station Pacifica KPFT going on about racism and I called her and asked her to verify the statement by Gus Savage. She emphatically agreed with Gus.

I closed with asking her that did she realise that by her claim that blacks "can not be" racist" she was making a racist bigoted statement.

The language skills showed in her response were of the "you white M…erF..ker" type; but beyond that I had her.

Obama is getting the privileged position that the MSM accorded to both Gore and Kerry. No gaffe or stupidity will be put under the microscope. But, woe-be-tide McCain if he goofs.

Methinks July 15, 2008 at 7:47 am

"But, woe-be-tide McCain if he goofs."

that's what he gets for being a "white M…erF..ker".

"Honkey" was one of the very first English words I learned when I first came to this country. I didn't know what it meant but it was being hurled at me regularly by the black students. you know…in that non-racist way….

Thank God they didn't know I was half Hymie too!