Video challenge

by Russ Roberts on December 17, 2008

in Uncategorized

Here’s a chance to win a trip to Davos to tell the world’s leaders how to save the world. I reject the premise but explaining why on video is an interesting opportunity. Or maybe I’m wrong. Maybe there really is a solution. (HT: John Phillips)

Comments

comments

Ike December 17, 2008 at 9:56 am

Publicity stunt.

The winner will be chosen based on the number and strength of the platitudes espoused, and will be chosen because he/she already supports the agenda of Davos.

Davos stands to get huge publicity and props for this, for "listening to the little guy." If it's an American chosen, count on a tour of the morning news shows where they can trot out their Pageant Platform for making the world a better place.

Want to make the world a better place?

Speedmaster December 17, 2008 at 10:37 am

Yup, I think Ike nailed it. ;-)

Marcus December 17, 2008 at 10:42 am

Wow. Have you watched the video? That's some scary stuff.

geo December 17, 2008 at 11:02 am

the winner talk about the evils of climate change and prob be wearing a Che shirt.

Mathieu Bédard December 17, 2008 at 11:28 am

Gotta love the guy on his exotic wood deck saying we have to lower consumption of everything and stop carbon emissions…

TrUmPiT December 17, 2008 at 12:29 pm

OPEC Agrees to Another Cut in Production to drive up the price.

Must we be held hostage by the most tyranical countries in the world? Oil must be made obsolete. We must bite the hand that feeds us oil and controls us and drains our financial resources by cartelized fiat. Death to billionaire sheiks and their billionaire accomplises that only know how to take out of the system for unbridled greed. How will the change come about? – by violent, SPONTANEOUS, upheaval or by peaceful drastic means. Is it up to youtube or you too?

Marcus December 17, 2008 at 1:07 pm

"Is it up to youtube or you too?"
– Posted by: TrUmPiT | Dec 17, 2008 12:29:21 PM

So invest in alternative energy sources. What's stopping you?

Or are you too feeble minded to think for yourself?

TrUmPiT December 17, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Yes, I'm too feeble-minded, Marcus. Takes one to know one. Thanks for adding something gracious and charming to the discussion. Strange that your bosses keep you from watching youtube at work, yet they let you pollute the internet in other more vicious ways. I'll have to have a talk with them about their policies and you. Where do you work and loaf? I have to put a halt to feebleminedness wherever it rears its ugly head.

JP December 17, 2008 at 2:01 pm

The Ethics question is a hoot: "Should company executives have a code of ethics similar to doctors and lawyers?"

Why do I think the answer they'll settle on is something along the lines of 'Why Yes: always sacrifice shareholder value to socialist objectives. Please sign.'

How about a Code of Ethics for politicians? Ethic one: code of silence. Ethic two: vow of poverty.

Dave December 17, 2008 at 2:03 pm

My former Fearless Leader, Carly Fiorina, always made a point of jetting in to Davos on the G5. We commoners were left to gasp at her eloquence from our gray cubicles. Perhaps I'm just bitter at not being invited along for the show but somehow I suspect that many of the other attendees were of her ilk and far better known for their flowery speech than actually being able to accomplish anything. I am left to believe that Davos is nothing but a wasteful dog-and-pony show which achieves nothing but provide an opportunity for self-annointed elites to meet and greet on someone else's dime. I really need to work on my attitude…

Marcus December 17, 2008 at 2:28 pm

"Thanks for adding something gracious and charming to the discussion."
– Posted by: TrUmPiT | Dec 17, 2008 1:45:14 PM

LOL! Is that what your first post was?

OK, I apologize.

Who exactly is being held hostage by OPEC? I know every time I fill up my car, even when it was $4.50/gallon, I did so because I was better off with it.

It's not like I don't have alternatives. More fuel efficient vehicles, walking, riding a bike.

But if you want to play victim, be my guest. Just please leave the rest of us out of it.

Marcus December 17, 2008 at 2:31 pm

"Thanks for adding something gracious and charming to the discussion."
– Posted by: TrUmPiT | Dec 17, 2008 1:45:14 PM

LOL! Is that what your first post was?

OK, I apologize.

Anonymous December 17, 2008 at 2:36 pm

"by violent, SPONTANEOUS, upheaval or by peaceful drastic means. Is it up to youtube or you too?"

and

"you pollute the internet in other more vicious ways"

And these:

"Thanks for adding something gracious and charming to the discussion."

and

"I'll have to have a talk with them about their policies and you. Where do you work and loaf? I have to put a halt to feebleminedness wherever it rears its ugly head."

Thank you for the study in irony.

MnM December 17, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Sorry, the above post is mine.

Seth December 17, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Was it me or was Bono's image shown shortly after the voice over said, "join the world's greatest thinkers"?

muirgeo December 17, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Mesa Econoguy December 17, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Or you could concoct some crock-“science,” build a political movement around it (staffed by gov’t bureaucrats and scientifically illiterate and gullible undergrads), and start your own worldwide crusade….

Sam Grove December 17, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Must we be held hostage by the most tyranical countries in the world?

um, no.

Must we be held hostage by horrifically stupid foreign policy?

Apparently so.

Oil Shock December 17, 2008 at 7:45 pm
muirgeo December 17, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Mesa,

There is far far far far more evidence of anthropogenic warming then there is to suggest economic and political vitality or supremacy of libertarian socioeconomic dogma.

In fact the evidence of anthropogenic climate change is in direct conflict with your political/economic faith/ideology and that is why you need to deny the facts of climate change. Must be a bummer to be so uncomfortable with reality.

Mesa Econoguy December 17, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Oh, yes, of course there is.

There’s also a shiny new pony under the tree for you this year…

Liz December 18, 2008 at 12:46 am

Dilemma: I'm in agreement with the Ike, etc buuut I would not mind a vacation…

Russell Nelson December 18, 2008 at 2:30 am

The way for world leaders to save the world is for them to do as LITTLE as they possibly can. Since the sole purpose of a government is to use their monopoly on violence to reduce the total amount of violence in society, whenever they do as little as possible, it means they have succeeded in reducing violence to the minimum.

This increases the prosperity of the society to the maximum, which increases tax revenue, which, since the leaders have nothing else to do, gives them a nice high salary.

brotio December 18, 2008 at 3:02 am

"The way for world leaders to save the world is for them to do as LITTLE as they possibly can."

b-b-b-but, Russ! That's just simply not true! They're elected, which means they have knowledge beyond us mere mortals and MUST act. Only government officials can possibly know how to save the planet and the economy, otherwise they wouldn't have been elected!!!!!!!!

LowcountryJoe December 18, 2008 at 5:10 am

Someone's already done a solution video; Keynesianism should be the answer to everything.

MT December 18, 2008 at 7:13 pm

"I would advise them not to worry about climate change, ocean acidification, loss of biodiversity, water supplies, food, supplies, overpopulation, peak oil or outbreaks of infectious disease because as long as we don't plan for any of these things the invisible hand of the market will take care of everything. Planning is bad… don't do it. "

Brilliant post! Just amend the last sentence to: "Central planning is…" and you've nailed it. It would save the world trillions in waste, uplifting the lives of virutally everyone.