Not from the Onion

by Russ Roberts on March 20, 2009

in Stimulus

The President of the United States insults our intelligence. The Washington Post reports:

President Obama today announced "unprecedented restrictions" aimed at
deterring lobbyists from influencing projects under a massive economic
stimulus plan and vowed that recovery efforts will not become "an
excuse for waste and abuse."

Pledging to create "a new culture of accountability" with the $787
billion stimulus package, Obama told a gathering of state lawmakers
that his administration "will do everything in our power" to prevent
taxpayer dollars from slipping through the cracks and being diverted
from projects that create jobs. To set an example, he said, he rejected
a recent proposal to use funds under the stimulus plan, officially
called the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, to modernize old
electrical and heating systems in the East Wing of the White House.

"This is a much-needed project; it is long overdue, and I hope
Congress funds it in the future," Obama told the National Conference of
State Legislatures in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building next to
the White House. "But because this request does not meet the high
standards I have set — because it will not create many jobs or advance
our recovery — it will not be funded under the Recovery Act."

Do you get it? We don't have to worry. Everything in his power! And the Prez isn't even using this opportunity to get his house worked on. (Boy it was different back in Chicago, wasn't it?).

But how exactly is this bit of infrastructure spending different from what's in the spending package? Why will those project create lots of jobs but this one won't?

Comments

comments

Add a Comment    Share Share    Print    Email

Sam Grove March 20, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Despite new estimates that say President Barack Obama's budget would generate unsustainable large deficits averaging almost $1 trillion a year, the White House insisted Friday that the flood of red ink won't swamp its costly agenda.

link

jorod March 20, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Uncle Sam has a new job title: Enabler

Superheater March 20, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Well, being president is sort of like being on American Idol. They might rename the show after the big O gets done socializing everything to "America Idle".

muirgeo March 20, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I never saw any such criticism here of the last 2 administrations that basically put us in this predicament. All we heard was how good the economy was and to ignore the pessimist who repeatedly told us the economy was in worse shape then the numbers might have suggested.

Personally I find his talk of limiting lobbyist access, relying on science, opening up the government and pushing for accountability refreshing compared with the last president who was set on concentrating the power of the president into that of a unitarian executive.

You are really setting yourself up Russ for a whole lot of explaining if in 2-4 years from now things turn around and your blog is on record of critizing every move this man makes under the most extreme of circumstances.

vidyohs March 20, 2009 at 5:51 pm

muirduck,

This is the difference between you and people with real world experience, knowedge, and a working brain:

"Personally I find his "talk" of limiting lobbyist access, relying on science, opening up the government and pushing for accountability refreshing compared with the last president who was set on concentrating the power of the president into that of a unitarian executive.
Posted by: muirgeo | Mar 20, 2009 5:16:32 PM"

Fools are impressed with talk, never remembering that all politicians talk and promise.

Russ Roberts March 20, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Muirgeo,

You seem to think I'm married to the President. He is not my spouse. He and I are not on a honeymoon where I try to ignore his faults.

I think the economy will turn around in the next 2-4 years. That has nothing to do with whether the President says something stupid or condescending or insulting. When he says those thinks, I'll sometimes point them out. It has nothing to do with whether he is doing a good job overall.

muirgeo March 20, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I'd bet if he didn't say so or if you asked him he might have a good explaination why the White House project wouldn't pass his "scrutiny". I'm guessing because it could be percieved as a "pet project" and should be passed seperatly rather then tagged onto the stimulus bill.

vidyohs March 20, 2009 at 6:19 pm

muirduck,

Here is what talk is all about, this was sent to me by a friend:
—————-
I have to admit it. My liberal friends were right.

They told me if I voted for McCain, the nation's Hope would deteriorate, and sure enough there has been a 20 point drop in the Consumer Confidence Index since the election, reaching a lower point than any time during the Bush administration.

They told me if I voted for McCain, the US would become more deeply embroiled in the Middle East, and sure enough tens of thousands of additional troops are scheduled to be deployed into Afghanistan .

They told me if I voted for McCain, that the economy would get worse and sure enough unemployment is approaching 8.8% and the new stimulus packages implemented recently have sent the stock market lower than at any time since the 1980s.

They told me if I voted for McCain, we would see more "crooks" in high ranking positions in Federal government and sure enough, several recent cabinet nominees and Senate appointments revealed resumes of bribery and tax fraud.

Well I ignored my Democrat friends in November and voted for McCain. And they were right…. all of their predictions have come true.

vidyohs March 20, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Muirduck,

Re: Your last post:

That may be an accurate assumption of Obama's actions or words; but, then again they just may be the words of a manipulative, hypocrite, play to my groupies type of guy.

Because, if you think for one New York minute that Obama, the president, is inconvenienced in his home, the White House, by any deficient wiring, or heating problems then truly you confirm all of our suspicions about you.

Randy March 20, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Muirgeo: "…a whole lot of explaining if [you are] on record of critizing every move this man makes…"

I'll bet Hitler's lackeys said things like this too.

T L Holaday March 20, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Russell,

It disappoints me that the author of The Price of Everything cannot imagine that one expenditure may have a greater expected return than another.

For example, it is quite reasonable to suppose that bridge rehabilitation in Vermont is more likely to create jobs and advance recovery than upgrading the electrical system in the East Wing of the White House.

JP March 20, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I'm honestly beginning to come around to the view that Obama is too charming for his own good. Like all charmers, he seems to believe that he can talk his way out of anything. Government is wasteful? Make a speech. Treasury's investments aren't working out? Make a speech. The problem is that his words, however persuasive, aren't based on anything real.

Sam Grove March 20, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I have to admit, I was wrong.

Last year I told some friends that the Democrats would have a hard time outspending Bush.

They have surpassed my expectations.

BoscoH March 20, 2009 at 7:05 pm

George, here's the serious, honest explanation. Nobody on this planet is smart or wise enough to hold or wield the kind of power the President has. No group of people is smart, wise, or even functional enough to hold the kind of power that Congress has. That is where your hosts and most of the commenters are coming from, not from the Republican side of the aisle.

Given that no politician is worthy of the power they are given, we have a tradition (a right, in fact) that puts a check on them. It's called freedom of speech. It's not unpatriotic to disagree with them.

We're also not about optimizing economic output indicators at the expense of higher goals like freedom. For example, I'm self-employed. I work with one of my customers as a consultant, but I come to the table as a trusted partner, not an employee. I bet that if I'd gone to work for a big company out of school like my Dad did when he left the Air Force, I'd have made more money and made a greater contribution to our government in taxes. But I'd be unhappy flipping bits at someone else's direction. I think that generalizes to corporations and the economy as a whole. Add government regulation and direction to any sector, and you'll have very competent people who opt for more freedom and less bull shitake. Add the faux populist outrage and impromptu legislation over fulfilling existing employee bonus contracts, and wonder why the people who can fix AIG opt for greener pastures. As Russ notes, macro recovery will likely happen in a couple of years in spite of the central tinkerers.

That's the serious answer George. When you post here, many of us try to take into account where you're coming from in forming your opinion before we craft our replies. Perhaps you could, in the spirit of To Kill a Mockingbird, think about what our shoes feel like as well.

muirgeo March 20, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Posted by: vidyohs

How does collecting a government pension jibe claims of being min-anarchist? No ones perfect right? But he's had far less lobbying ties then most. I can only hope he follows through with greater restrictions on lobbyist because they are the root of all our corrupted politics…IMO.

Albatross March 20, 2009 at 7:23 pm

“Wow Russ. How about we give this president a little more then 60 days to clean up the catastrophe he inherited.”
I too was willing to give him some slack, but he appears prepared to do as much damage in the last 60 days as the last clown did in 8 years.
1. Trillion dollar mistake—check!
2. Brownie your doing a heckuva job—replace with Tiny Tim doing a heckuva job!—check!
3. I will repair our image around the world—by giving the Prime Minister if our closest ally and former mother country 25 DVD of movies that will not play on his DVD player—check!
4. I will be respectful off all peoples—by promptly making fun of the retarded on Leno—check!
5. I am articulate—where is the teleprompter—check!
6. I will bring accountability and integrity to government—ok I hope everyone has paid their taxes—check?
7. I will create a foreign policy team that is tolerant of all nations, colours, and creeds—oh can someone check for anti-Semites?
Look, if you want to post here then realize something; we mocked the last president and we will mock the current one. We mock all statists who live to oppress their fellow man. The fun part for us is to watch folks like you mock the previous tyrant only to praise the current one. I despised the Republicans for their greed and corruption. I thought there could be nothing worse, but I was wrong. The stream of excuses coming from the party stooges in the next four years is going to be absolutely hilarious—if it were not going to be so destructive.

kingstu March 20, 2009 at 7:25 pm

I am confident that Jesus Chr …errr… Barack Obama can oversee the spending of trillions of dollars, fix the banking system, fix healthcare, fix education, fix the auto industry, fix the airline industry, fix the illegal downloading of music and hope and change his way to anything imaginable.

After all, he was a law student and politician you know. Why wouldn’t he be able to accomplish all those things with that kind of resume?

Dr. T March 20, 2009 at 7:41 pm

"The President of the United States insults our intelligence."

No, he doesn't. Obama knows that an electorate stupid enough to elect him to the presidency is stupid enough to believe the nonsense he spouts in his speeches. I believe someone once said that you can never underestimate the intelligence of the voters. Obama just keeps proving that.

Methinks March 20, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Albatross, I missed your posts. Glad to see a post from you.

I do hope Russ realizes one day that Muirdiot doesn't think of Obama merely as Russ' wife. He thinks of him as a saviour.

MWG March 20, 2009 at 8:11 pm

" But he's (Obama) had far less lobbying ties then most."
-Muirdog

You made the claim, now back it up with facts…

Kevin March 20, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Muirgeo you could be right or wrong about the future, but Obama is not showing any kind of real leadership in DC. Congress is doing whatever it wants, and rather than acting like a leader and actually setting the agenda, Obama is getting tossed about on the waves. If he wants to be credited with a recovery, he should start acting like he's in charge, instead of acting like a Senator who was just made POTUS.

Mesa Econoguy March 20, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Amusing, but even Russ falls into the quicksand:

I think the economy will turn around in the next 2-4 years.
Posted by: Russ Roberts | Mar 20, 2009 5:52:52 PM

Posted by: muirgeo | Mar 20, 2009 5:16:32 PM

Of course, the economy will turn around in 2 – 4 years (I hope), but this will have little or nothing to do with Obama’s socialism, which will cause the economy to turn around to 2.4% GDP growth, like France. You idiot.

Muirgeo, you will most likely also claim credit for 1) the sun rising, 2) gravity, and 3) the Beatles.

I will give you credit in 10 years for 1) out of control inflation, necessitated by entitlement spending, and 2) entitlement spending unfunded liabilities.

Ok, fine, I’ll also give you credit for being the most economically ignorant person on the internet, too.

muirgeo March 20, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I have to admit, I was wrong.

They have surpassed my expectations.

Posted by: Sam Grove

They've out spent Bush?? Really over what time frame?

Bush spent or committed us to spending between $6 and arguably $13 trillion eficit dollars over his 2 terms. Most of it in the last half year he was in office.

muirgeo March 20, 2009 at 9:06 pm

"Nobody on this planet is smart or wise enough to hold or wield the kind of power the President has. No group of people is smart, wise, or even functional enough to hold the kind of power that Congress has."

BoscoH

Mesa Econoguy March 20, 2009 at 9:22 pm

This is so easy:

Posted by: muirgeo | Mar 20, 2009 9:06:29 PM

A) not in this mess

B) better off

C) not in as bad of a mess, with those responsible bearing responsibility

D) Tip O’Neill (?)

E) lower transaction costs as a result of transparent and enforceable regulation

F) lack of commentary from uninformed HuffPo, DailyKrap readers

Gee, which one?

Albatross March 20, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Many thinks Methinks *The Albatross tips his wing*. Coming from you that means a lot (The Café’s Iron Lady)—only a kind comment from vidyos (The Café’s delightfully pissed off father in-law (or uncle)—with all love and respect intended—really, really, no sarcasm)) would mean so much. One thing I will add to my previous comment. I remember meeting our last President on a couple of occasions, and while I disagreed with him on nearly everything (despite CAFTA), I thought him a good and decent man. He was, at the time, Our President. I think the same of Our current President (although I have yet to meet him). [I should mention that I met John Kerry on a couple of occasions for which I am forever grateful to the French for giving use the word doche]. While we criticize President Obama here at the Café (as we did his predecessor), he is Our President. And if some foreign Assh*ole thug from Iran from Venezuela, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, or some other crap, tin-pot dictator dare criticize him, then I will spring to his defense, as I am sure the rest of the Café would. Had this been the 40s we would not have embraced Hitler to spite Roosevelt. So here is to you, Mr. President (Mr. and nothing else as George Washington told John Adams when the latter propose exalted titles). My glass is full, and I wish you the best (despite your crap and statist policies). I am just delighted that you are our president as opposed to many other countries where the guy who won the election is put in jail and not the president. I was reminded of this while watching Stephen Colbert one night. While we sat mesmerized by the fact we had elected out first African American President many around the world though, “wow if only we could have the guy we actually elected president.” I am going to bitch the rest of my life, but I will never forget that day in 87 when at 10 I became an American, and earned the right to hurl abuse at MY President.
Ooooh, sorry party needs its host—time to freshen up the cocktail,
Libre, Libre, Carthago Delenta Ect, Ect., Taco, Tierra Del Fiego,
Albatross

Albatross March 20, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I should also add that I agree with Russ and think the economy will turn around by the summer. I was paid for my opinion and I gave it last fall. I could be wrong, but if I am then I will be held accountable–no bonus for me.

Oil Shock March 20, 2009 at 9:34 pm

pokliticians to whom I can elect and hold accountable.

Nice dream! Now, wake up muirgeo.

Tim March 20, 2009 at 9:34 pm

"And yet if we didn't have leaders/ politicians where would we be? Anarchy or under the rule of these guys on Wall Street who I fear much more then pokliticians to whom I can elect and hold accountable.

That you guys still think leaving our fate to the likes of these CEO types we see on Wall Street is beyond me. A society lead by the men with the most money is far more tyranical then one lead however ineffecient by a process democratic governance."

Posted by: muirgeo

Man you need a reading comprehension class. BoscoH said that no one could or should hold as much power as the US Government has. I would love to see you hold Obama accountable for his actions. The politicians are above the law and get away with anything and everything. All you did by electing Obama is slap a new face on the status quo which happens to be rule by the banking elite.

And what makes you think that with a limited government the wealthy would "lead" society? In a free market those who profit most serve their fellow humans best by satisfying their demands. Nobody would be able to lead society the way in which government does.

When will you see what is hiding right in front of your face and understand that excessive government power is the problem and will never be used as a force for good?

It really is amazing that a person like you remains utterly clueless after reading the truth here from so many others in such detail. The truth is right there, just open your goddamn eyes.

Oil Shock March 20, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Most of it in the last half year he was in office.

Most of it with the overwhelming support of a democratic congress. Now can you say for once that Pelosi and Reid are irresponsible thieves? Will those words roll out of your tongue.

Mesa Econoguy March 20, 2009 at 9:40 pm

[Note to self: Albatross +2,000,000 karma bonus]

Mesa Econoguy March 20, 2009 at 9:40 pm

[Note to self: Albatross +2,000,000 karma bonus]

Mesa Econoguy March 20, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Ok, 787,000,000 bonus. Hey, Albatross, just like Congress!!!!!!

McAfee did something today. If you run this on Firefox, watch out.

Watch out.

Watch out.

Out.

Out.

Pingry March 20, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Obama has been a failure this far. Period.

I was in Washington, DC yesterday, and as soon as I sat down on the subway (metro) I saw the cover of the Washington Examiner: Losing his Magic.

I laughed knowing that Obama never had magic to begin with.

So, I was correct all along, and the Obama-maniacs, including the majority of the media, were wrong.

People are really starting to see what a loser politician he really is.

The honeymoon is over! It turns out that Obama Christ Superstar is really nothing but a slimy, deceitful serpent.

I mean, this is some tool, who claims to be "change you can believe in" and goes on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and compares his poor bowling performance as "like the Special Olympics."

I mean, completely disrespectful and inaccurate. Wow! Because a real person with class and leadership just straight-up disses people who were unlucky enough to be born with special needs. Smooth move Barry.

He really should have compared his pathetic bowling performance to Muirgeo's blog comments.

DJB March 20, 2009 at 9:49 pm

"That you guys still think leaving our fate to the likes of these CEO types we see on Wall Street is beyond me. A society lead by the men with the most money is far more tyrannical then one lead however inefficient by a process democratic governance."

Yet you and your ilk continue to bail them out and then blame the "corrupt" Market for their continued existence.

Hypocrisy thy name is muirgeo.

Albatross March 20, 2009 at 9:51 pm

No Whammies, No whammies, No whammies

Albatross March 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm

No whammies, No whammies, No whammies—God Bless America!

LowcountryJoe March 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Posted by: muirgeo | Mar 20, 2009 5:16:32 PM

Setting himself up? Let's assume that all the criticism Russ is issuing is completely without merit [it's not, but let's assume]. Further assume that the economy begins growing again at clip equal to or above the median historical growth rate within two-to four years: what would Russ be setting himself up for excatly; you're articulate criticism? Please, you're too much the intellectual midget to cause anyone to squirm.

But I will agree with you about the extreme circumstances. No, not because we have creeping socialism and erroding liberties. And not because economic activity has waned and caused pain and hardship to many of our fellow Americans, either. It's that damned global warming causing things like the melting of 5000-year old ice sheets that reveal vegetation that grew in warmer climates that existed in the distant past thus proving modern man's affect on climate.

BoscoH March 20, 2009 at 10:26 pm

So does that put you on the side of defending George W. Bush? How strangely the tables have turned here!

Without the government stepping in, some of the biggest screwballs on Wall Street would no longer be in business. I think the bailouts are prolonging the inevitable. For a generation, people will be more conservative with their savings. And perhaps companies will look more off Wall Street to raise capital. The institutions won't continue to thrive if the grassroots don't support them.

If there is one good thing about President Obama, it's that he truly believes that big, strong government with decisive leadership will centrally solve the problem. A decade from now, I suspect we'll know how impotent that approach is.

If there is another good thing, it's that nobody will want to be "bracket guy" next March.

Albatross March 20, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Just in case anyone is interested, although I will give Our President kudos for shaking hands with the marine. This may be a breach of protocol, but having worked as a White House intern years ago I thought it a nice touch of humility (no sarcasm, it was kind of him). Furthermore, I do not hold old “hairplugs” Joe in disrepute for his use of the f-bomb when his former colleagues in the senate called him “Mr. Vice President”—I would have said the same thing in his shoes. Some of the other eight, however, are precious—especially coming from the foreign media that only Americans can trust.

dg lesvic March 20, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Prof Roberts,

Peter Boettke told me that he doesn't attempt to answer all his critics on his blog, because he'd go crazy trying to do so.

Don't let those fellows get you down. Nobody takes them seriously except themselves.

And I really doubt that even they do.

Mesa Econoguy March 20, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Guys, Russ is just like us.

He knows how to restrain himself a little better. But he’s far more interactive than DeLong.

Read the books on the right-hand side.

Read the WSJ articles.

Nobel 2012.

Bob D March 21, 2009 at 12:01 am

In the state that is an incubator of Democrat higher learning NJ, an experiment was mandated by State Supreme Court to build schools in poorer districts. Money was obtained thought the issuance of bonds and the cheese was spread to the Rats who ran the poor district schools to build new schools. As Rats will do they ate the cheese themselves and didn't build the new schools and the kids were out of luck. Now a reshuffled state school construction dept. is slated to get some fresh Obama Stimulus cheese. Can't let the Rats go hungry!

Oil Shock March 21, 2009 at 12:22 am
Mesa Econoguy March 21, 2009 at 12:30 am

Delong runs off of weak fiscal stimulus data.

muirgeo March 21, 2009 at 1:26 am

"Further assume that the economy begins growing again at clip equal to or above the median historical growth rate within two-to four years: what would Russ be setting himself up for excatly; you're articulate criticism?"

Lowcountryjoe

First global warming is the environmental equivalent of the Reagan/Bush deregulatory financial meltdown that you guys denied was happening up until a few days ago. Guys like Krugman and Baker and Batra and Philips and Rubini understood the future outcome but not the Libertarians. They kept telling us all is well and that concentrating wealth and stagnant wages either didn't matter or were a myth.

Now for you guys to claim that the economy will recover in 2-4 years is simply a matter of you all CYA. And here's the part that makes you squirm.

FDR's policies apparently lead to the Great Depression lasting 10 years or more. So why now would we expect Obama's even more aggressive Keynesian policies to allow for such a quick recovery?
The reason is because their is nothing steady or logical consistent about your positions. It's all about changing the facts to fit your beliefs.

muirgeo March 21, 2009 at 1:59 am

This is so easy:

Posted by: muirgeo | Mar 20, 2009 9:06:29 PM

A) not in this mess

Posted by: Mesa Econoguy

Dude,

Obama will spend like $1.2 trillion more then he takes in this year. Last year the private markets in all their free-market wisdom lost some $50 Trillion. Talk about incompetent and inept. And you expect us to let these run our economy with out rules… ain't gonna happen. Competition needs rules or the slime and the cheats will rise to the top. You guys and your unregulated free market fairy tales… all very funny in light of the facts of the real world.

Sam Grove March 21, 2009 at 2:31 am

You miss the point of the whole affair. What happened was the realization that the $50 trillion was never there. What happened was the loss of an expectation of $50 trillion.

How can you overlook the obvious?

There were plenty of rules. More rules than a team of government lawyers can possibly know. AND STILL this happened.

It doesn't matter what rules there are, they will still be running the finance industry and for their own benefit. It's the rules that insulate them from competition, it's the rules that keep the rest of us from gaining independence from them.

You remind me of supporters of drug prohibition claiming that if drugs were legalized, kids would be able to buy such drugs anywhere.

As if they don't already.

The question you might ask yourself is why there was an expectation of $50 trillion that wasn't really there?

Who's been pumping gas into the soapy waters of finance?

You've got a real effective filter there, George.

Sam Grove March 21, 2009 at 2:45 am
brotio March 21, 2009 at 5:24 am

God God!

When we didn't hear from him for several days, I was hoping that Mierduck had written a sequel to the Satanic Verses and ran afoul of the Assaholas in Iran.

Note that when asked a direct question (But, his cabinet has a considerable number of lobbyist in it. So, tell us muirduck, how does that jibe with his talk?) Mierduck ducked (again), and answered a question with a question.

Mierduck, you were asked to justify Obama's words to his deeds. How does your Second Grade retort, "Well, he's got fewer lobbyists in his administration than the other guy!" jibe with deterring lobbyists from influencing projects under a massive economic stimulus plan…?

By the way, in September, you claimed to be against the bailout. Now you're for it. It seems like you're channeling John Kerry again, just like you did when you were opposed to corporate welfare before you were for it.

Hypocrite.