What Earth Day Means to Me

by Don Boudreaux on April 22, 2009

in Environment

My son, Thomas (a sixth grader), has a homework assignment today: write an essay entitled "What Earth Day Means to Me."  I will help him out with my own essay.

Earth Day, to me, means an opportunity to express thanks for all the ways that capitalism makes our lives and environment cleaner and healthier.

I'm thankful for the automobile, which has cleaned our streets and highways of animal feces, which is both foul and filthy itself, and that attracts flies that spread it into our homes and workplaces.

I'm thankful for the automobile also because it allows us to travel in a cleaner environment than we had when we traveled on horseback or in buggies.  Modern automobiles cool or heat the air immediately surrounding their passengers, making these passengers comfortable and, in summer, less sweaty and stinky.

I'm thankful for air-conditioning that keeps our interior environments not only comfortable but more healthy, as it allows us to better keep insects out of our homes, shops, factories, and offices — and also, in humid places, to dramatically reduce the growth of mold and mildew in our homes.

I'm thankful for indoor plumbing.  (The anti-polluting properties here are too obvious to spell out.  Ditto for disposable diapers — yet another product for which I'm most grateful.)

I'm thankful for the inexpensive soaps, shampoos, toothpastes, dental floss, toilet tissue, and plastic bandages and other first-aid items that make it possible for us to de-pollute our persons regularly.

I'm thankful for electronic appliances, such as those that (along with modern detergents – for which I'm also thankful) allow us to clean our used clothing and dirty dishes — clean these more deeply and more thoroughly than was possible in the past without spending multiples of the time on such tasks that we spend on these tasks today.  These appliances enable us to recycle our clothing and our dishes for many reuses.

I'm thankful for electricity for making these appliances possible – and for enabling us to light our home without dirty candles, and for enabling us to heat our homes without coal, wood, peat, or other filthy substances.

I'm thankful for plastics, which very effectively and at very low costs allow us to keep bacteria confined.  A plastic storage bag, for example, keeps food bacteria confined to the interior of the bag.

I'm thankful for refrigeration for retarding the growth of bacteria and, hence, keeping our foods cleaner and healthier.

I'm thankful for chemical fertilizers that increase the productivity of the earth's soil, and thereby helps to prevent malnutrition — which, in turn, better enables each of our bodies to succeed at fighting off diseases that are more likely to sicken, or even kill, malnourished persons.

I'm thankful for factories (and the fuels that power them) that make possible things such as modern textiles — modern textiles that enable even poor people in market societies to own many changes of clean clothing.

I'm thankful for modern insecticides and cleansers that help to protect us from bugs and bacteria that would otherwise pollute our environments.

I am, in short, thankful for private-property markets that are the main driving force behind these (and many other) anti-pollutants — a force so powerful that we today enjoy the incredible luxury of being able to worry, should we so choose, about very distant and very speculative forms of environmental problems such as species loss and global warming.

Comments

comments

JP April 22, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I'm thankful for the increases in productivity that enable me to work indoors and without risking serious injury, and that give me the free time to take pleasure in clouds, flowers, birds, etc.

wintercow20 April 22, 2009 at 5:07 pm

"I'm thankful big European governments competing with each other created modern science. And since modern science was responsible for the Industrial Revolution and our modern creature comforts, I am therefore thankful that government has made us as prosperous as we are today.

Private capital will not support needed education, healthcare and infrastructure if it is not profitable for it. On the other hand, government will provide these when profitable for society as a whole."

That is a typical response I get from people. I am thankful that our modern world has proved bountiful enough to allow even these fine fellows to live comfortably, if not sanctimoniously, all over the world.

Bret April 22, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Your son will be thankful to be held back another year in sixth grade until he can be correctly indoctrinated.

Crusader April 22, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Don – time to pull your kid out of government indoctrination center and into a private school. You can't win over the indoctrinators.

Don Boudreaux April 22, 2009 at 5:26 pm

My son is in a private school — which, save on rare occasions such as today — is good about avoiding the indoctrination nonsense.

David April 22, 2009 at 5:35 pm

To me, Earth Day represents an orgy of self-loathing which hypocritical people attempt to spread throughout human society.

Adam April 22, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Great essay, except for one small point: you have a habit of using the word "recycle" when the right word would be "reuse." We don't recycle clothing – we reuse it.

From dictionary.com:

Recycle: to treat or process (used or waste materials) so as to make suitable for reuse: recycling paper to save trees. (Random House)

Reuse: To use again, especially after salvaging or special treatment or processing.

Out of curiosity, how do you deal with these types of "indoctrination" matters? On the one hand, there's nothing wrong with understanding the importance of a healthy environment. On the other, most of the popular understanding of how we get such an environment is just absurd. I completely sympathize with your desire for your son not to be brainwashed. But how do you work against it without "indoctrinating" him yourself? My concept of indoctrination refers to bringing people to a point of view without them having thought it through – I think it's equally bad to be an unthinking believer in free markets as it an unthinking believer in the state.

Jeremy April 22, 2009 at 5:56 pm

What we're "thankful" for? Has "Earth Day" been elevated to the ranks of Thanksgiving in the pantheon of American holidays?

Don Boudreaux April 22, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Adam,

My wife and I tell our son constantly that he must think for himself. We really do. At least three or four times a week one or the other of us says to Thomas "You know, you should form your views according to your own lights and thoughts and not accept what we, your parents, believe just because we believe it." And we assure him (quite sincerely) that if he turns out to be a socialist, we'll still love him, and even respect his political and economic views as long as he can defend them with logic and evidence.

And, for the record, neither my wife nor I came by our views unthinkingly. In my case, it was precisely because economics taught me to think about the way economies hang together that I came to my view.

Jeff "Mario" Smith April 22, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Nice job Don. Today, the liberals and their sheeple worship the false god of the earth known as ghia. Their prophet Al Gore has some explaining to do for the ice I had to scrape off my windshield this morning here in Central Kentucky.

Steve Horwitz April 22, 2009 at 6:08 pm

On Earth Day, I am thankful for Wal-Mart and other big box retailers who in their ongoing search for profits have reduced the per-unit costs of transporting all of the things Don is thankful for to ever lower depths, enabling us to save on gasoline and other valuable natural resources even as they provide life's necessities cheaper.

But I am most grateful for Earth's dominant species, humanity. We, as the late great Julian Simon said, are the ultimate resource and it is through our intelligence and creativity that we have learned to make effective use of nature's bounty and feed and clothe billions of our fellow humans at ever-increasing standards of living.

We have learned to use the earth to overcome humanity's natural state of poverty.

Stephen Smith April 22, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Did you really, Professor Boudreaux, just imply that cars are somehow an outgrowth of capitalism? Because last I checked, the last time our nation had anything approaching a libertarian/capitalist transport industry was right around the turn of the century, when private, competing, profitable streetcar companies vied for consumers' money. Contrast that to the automobile era, where all rights-of-ways are publicly owned and acquired, with the veneer of self-sufficiency (in the form of a dedicated highway trust fund), but ultimately much further from a free market situation than we were when we had private streetcars.

I'd say that cars and highways have been some of the most destructive forms of statism this country has ever known. Too bad even the most doctrinaire libertarians can't see that.

Daniel Klein April 22, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Earth day: A day like any other day of manufactured cultural refuse, only more so

vidyohs April 22, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Re: Don's exchange with Adam.

Having raised three children to think for themself I got exactly what I expected to get, rebellion in many ways. Which was okay by me, because I'd rather they think for themself and rebel than become robots and let others do their thinking for them.

However, and this is a big however, Sir Don and Adam, they also received indoctrination, heavy, direct, strictly enforced, and pointed indoctrination. People who do not indoctrinate their children in the important things, raise children that will do anything until they have a limitation slapped upside their head because they violated some one else's understanding of right and wrong.

What I am saying, gentlemen, is that parents can not be so wimpy as to be afraid to indoctrinate their children in natural law at a minimum, acceptable standards of behavior in all situations – certainly, the principles contained in the 10 commandments – hopefully, standards of personal hygene – I would hope, the importance of education – maybe?

If we are unwilling to indoctrinate our children in many things, can we say we "raised" them? Indoctrinate is not a bad word, it isn't profanity, nor is it obscene, it is a perfectly good word. God knows how many times I underwent indoctrination in the mores and practices of new countries.

How could we not indoctrinate our children in the principles of freedom, liberty, the value of life, and the pursuit of happiness? Do we want to just hang them out to flop in the winds of philosophic idiocy that passes for competing ways of life nowdays?

Have we become wimpy enough in America that we are afraid to stand up and say "there are standards, here they are, and you'll learn them and live them as long as you are in my house?"

Do you want your children to value themselves and their own efforts? Then you damn well better be indoctrinating them.

Is freedom, liberty, life, and the pursuit of happiness so unimportant to you that you would leave your child to flounder in a world of schemers and users and not give him the "indoctrination" in firm values, standards, and principles so that he does not become seduced by the cheap and easy philosophy of socialism? Lord lord I can't believe that.

Ouch, my head hurts now.

DAVE April 22, 2009 at 6:33 pm

It's no accident that the same people who have a freakish need to control and engineer the infinitely complex workings of large groups of people around them also feel that they can control other natural phenomena.

Here you have the product of a civilization with a recorded history of a mere few thousand years trying to figure out an entity that is billions of years old and consists of trillions of parts, particles and processes of whose workings we still know very little.

But from the very limited knowledge that they do possess, using a smattering of historical data gleaned from a very small period of time, they arrogantly proclaim themselves experts – no less – and the debate over!

In a few centuries from now, these few decades will be viewed in the same light as the black plague.

Adam April 22, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Don:

Don't get me wrong, I'm as libertarian as they come. I've attended Cato University twice, and you gave excellent lectures at both (as did Karol – even better than yours, I think :) ). I don't doubt for a moment that you came by your views other than through careful thought.

If we have kids, I plan on bringing them up to be libertarian. But I don't know how to do that in the face of such relentless socialization to believe in the state's power to make all our problems go away. It's one thing to acknowledge that government has screwed up X or Y. It's quite another to believe that those screwups aren't because of the wrong people or the wrong policy – they're inherent to the nature of the beast. And that liberty is the highest value, always and everywhere. It's just not how people are taught to think. In fact, it's not even an idea people are taught to reject because it's an idea that people simply aren't exposed to.

How one teaches all this to a child who naturally soaks up what everyone tells him is beyond me.

Lee Kelly April 22, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I want to celebrate Mars day instead, and add 39 minutes to the a ordinary day here on Earth.

dg lesvic April 22, 2009 at 7:26 pm

I'm thankful for this little classic, for all the free speech here, and for Steve Horwitz, who taught me to appreciate it.

indiana jim April 22, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Earth Day !

God I love it!

I sent steaks to my brother-in-law and ate a prime rib for lunch in celebration of it. Why? Because I can and because if everyone in the world could, then the demand for clean living surroundings, being a NORMAL good, would resolve a la the invisible hand any and all environmental crises sans massive governmental intervention.

Think about it. Today in the USA we have 320% MORE trees than in the 1920s. Yes we have fewer forests, as the environmentalist will repeat over and over, but we have more more more trees (as they will hardly ever tell you; probably because in most cases they are IGNORANT of the FACTS). But facts matter, and those who spin nonesense will undercut, dare I say erode, their integrity completely in these days of the instant info internet transfers.

God I LOVE Earth Day!

Today I discussed in classes the way that the interest rate protects trees under a system of private property capitalism. I never cease to enjoy giving this lecture. I have been discussing this EVERY Earth Day since 1980 when, as a grad student at Purdue, I taught basic econ (micro of course) with a text by Armen Alchian and William Allen (Exchange and Production was the title). The trees are cut when the rate of growth of the value of the trees equals the market rate of interest! Lower interest rates (lower rates of impatience for resources) lead to later harvest.

Methinks April 22, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Reading through Don's essay, I kept thinking how all of these inventions have also made our environment more healthy – both for us and for wildlife.

The number of diseases modern technology has both eradicated and prevented through modern sanitation is astounding. That is persistently underestimated.

It is not a coincidence that the foulest air and most polluted environments are in socialist countries. The Soviet Union was a veritable toxic waste dump. The air in Paris is far more foul than in NYC. The poorer a country is, the less property rights, the less anyone cares about the environment.

Joe Schmoe April 22, 2009 at 8:08 pm

"Under no circumstances would I permit my son to be "educated" at a government-run K-12 institution."

What about a government-run public university — like, say, George Mason?

kingstu April 22, 2009 at 8:18 pm

What Earth Day Means to Me?

It means I had no idea today was Earth Day. We need a day for this? What's next Fart Day?

Methinks April 22, 2009 at 8:30 pm

No, Kingstu! Farts are a major source of CO2 and must be regulated by government to protect Mother Earth from the externalities of our foul habits. Certainly, Nancy Pelosi is already on top of legislation to harness our farts for fuel as she has made a statement that we must break our addiction to hydrocarbons by switching to natural gas. Think of all the jobs that would create.

Actually, what Nancy really needs is to break her addiction to plastic surgery because she's one brow lift away from never being able to close her eyes. But, I digress….

indiana jim April 22, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Schmoe,

There is an obvious reason that state universities are better than state run primary and secondary schools: There is more competition in the former than in the latter.

Crusader April 22, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Universities are different. By the time a person attends(18-19), supposedly they are far less susceptible to indoctrination efforts.

TrUmPiT April 22, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I'm sure that you are all dying to know what earth day means to me, so I'll just say a word or two to be succinct and conservational, apropos of a proper Earth Day ethic.

Basically, I think the Earth should be returned to its natural state, a state before humans came along to destroy the planet in the name of selfishness and greed. The idea of Natural Law that so many libertarians find appealing can only truly be applied to a natural world, a world that homo sapiens have obliterated for their own selfish purposes. The wild animals, like bears and wolves, that once flourished in Europe and North America have mostly been driven to extinction or can only be found as specimens in a zoo. If a cougar comes down from the hills to seek food or water, it is usually shot dead before it can eat fido or fluffy. No acknowlegement is ever made to the fact that they were here first and that the land, in fact, belongs to them. It has been stolen from them and converted into legal document called a trust deed and authenticated by a notary public. The fact that land is considered private property is immoral prima facie, just ask the Native Americans if you need further evidence.

How can we even begin to contemplate an Earth Day without letting the Earth do its own thing with out mankind's constant interference. The earth, the actual dirt, is the substrate upon which every non-marine living thing depends: trees, birds, buffalo, beaver, and Grizzly bear. This mean that we cannot ethically cover the Earth/earth with homes, mansions, roads, cars, skyscrapers, golf courses, etc. Humans must get their smelly feet out of the way, not just deodorize them as Beaudreaux pettily postulates and pustulates. One option is for human to stop having babies, then in due time the horrific human footprint over this green/blue planet that once was teaming with life in every nook and cranny can, once again, bloosom and bloom as it once did before anthropoids came on to the earthly stage to create and destroy on an unheard of scale. Why did humans appear on the scene of life when they did? Like most things in a probablistic universe driven by Darwinian evolution, a gamma ray probably struck a DNA molecule at the wrong momment and the mutated gene developed into the scourge of life that we know as homo sapiens. 2 B CONTINUED after a brief bathroom break and chocolaty snack…

vidyohs April 22, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Adam,

"But I have much more respect for socialists who are willing to engage others and think critically than for other libertarians who haven't actually questioned their beliefs and think that in a debate, volume is as good as substance.
Posted by: Adam | Apr 22, 2009 6:57:58 PM"

I assume you wrote tongue in cheek?

Where did you find these socialist? All I meet and engage in conversation or debate have no logic, rationale, facts, and very quickly run to emotion for their arguments. In other words they substitute emotion for thought and exercise a great deal of volume in denigrating others who disagree with them.

I have never had one examine his own ideas critically, and that is why I agree with my older wiser brother, "there is no such thing as a leftist intellectual." The moment one begins to think critically and intellectually one finds that socialism is a failure, has always been a failure, and will always be a failure until humans aren't human anymore.

How does a socialist think critically and defend the fact that socialism has a foundation of theft (and it gets worse from that beginning). How do they think critically and believe that they can create a morality out of an immorality?

The next one you find, please direct him to this blog, knock me up(in the british sense), and tell me how it is done.

Then tell me where you find the Libertarians who substitute volume for intellect, I don't know any?

S Andrews April 22, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Go kill yourself. That will be a good start.

Ray G April 22, 2009 at 9:39 pm

In commemoration of today's special meaning, I drove my truck to work. (I usually drive my sedan – the smaller of the two V8s that I own.)
8.1 liters of gas guzzling, freeway enjoyment. (That's 496ci to you old school types.)

By liter, this thing is equivalent to 5.4 Prius'.

Prentiss April 22, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Don:
I ran off a few hundred copies of your Earth Day essay and plan to hand them out to the sheep at next year’s Earth Day celebration here. I don’t know when Americans turned into mind numb adherents to such nonsense and folly but I do blame your pals in academia. At least we can have a laugh poking fun at them.
PD

Adam April 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm

vidyohs,

I wasn't being tongue in cheek, but I was exaggerating for effect. Literal socialists, no, I don't think there are any of those who have their heads screwed on right. No one can seriously believe in the abolition of private property without being deluded or insane.

I do, however, think that there are many statists out there who are serious in their willingness to engage in a sincere exchange of views and who are highly attuned to evidence and to reason. There are a great deal more who are simply obnoxious jackasses who wouldn't know a genuine idea if it bit them on the behind. That's more to do with human nature, I think – most people don't think too hard about abstract concepts like justice, liberty and power.

If you want examples of self-proclaimed libertarians who substitute volume for substance, do a few Internet searches. There are tons of them with their own blog. Being a libertarian myself, I'd like to think that all of us are thoughtful people who enjoy a good, honest debate. The evidence suggests otherwise, unfortunately.

muirgeo April 22, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I simply offer this incredible passage from Aldo Leopold;

Death of a Species

Our grandfathers were less well-housed, well-fed, well-clothed than we are. The strivings by which they bettered their lot are also those which deprived us of [Passenger] pigeons. Perhaps we now grieve because we are not sure, in our hearts, that we have gained by the exchange. The gadgets of industy bring us more comforts than the pigeons did, but do they add as much to the glory of the spring?

It is a century now since Darwin gave us the first glimpse of the origin of the species. We know now what was unknown to all the preceding caravan of generations: that men are only fellow-voyagers with other creatures in the odyssey of evolution. This new knowledge should have given us, by this time, a sense of kinship with fellow-ceatures; a wish to live and let live; a sense of wonder over the magnitude and duration of the biotic enterprise.

Above all we should, in the century since Darwin, have come to know that man, while captain of the adventuring ship, is hardly the sole object of its quest, and that his prior assumptions to this effect arose from the simple necessity of whistling in the dark.

These things, I say, should have come to us. I fear they have not come to many.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun. The Cro-Magnon who slew the last mammoth thought only of steaks. The sportsman who shot the last [Passenger] pigeon thought only of his prowess. The sailor who clubbed the last auck thought of nothing at all. But we, who have lost our pigeons, mourn the loss. Had the funeral been ours, the pigeons would hardly have mourned us. In this fact, rather than in Mr. DuPont's nylons or Mr. Vannevar Bush's bombs, lies objective evidence of our superiority over the beasts.

vidyohs April 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Adam,

I don't do a lot of internet exploring for just blogs, I simply do not ordinarily have the time, interest, or inclination; so, I will willingly accept your arguments as they stand on the subject of volume Vs flexibility.

Perhaps what you look at as volume just might be certainty and conviction, especially vis-a-vis all left wingers and their babble. I don't know, this is just a suggestion.

If you know socialism is evil, and your words above suggest you do, then at what point, at what age do you think it is natural to just tell it like it is.

Socialism requires theft, end of story. Theft is immoral and evil. People who practice socialism, or want to, are admitted thiefs and/or supporters of thiefs. Either way they are evil and want to practice evil.

What is there about that to debate?

I personally believe in treating all socialists exactly the way I treat muirduck, Gil, and STrUmPiT, as mentally broken creatures. They believe in evil, they support evil, the want to impose evil. How could I change and respect them as long as they are broken? Are those libertarians like me?

I am writing my convictions, and I can back them up with historical proofs, so perhaps I am guilty of volume? I don't know. I have never thought of myself as being that way, but they say the individual is always the last to know.

BTW, I am not libertarian, I am farther to the right than that, almost to Anarchist, but too smart to go there. I am a T-Brazorian conservative.

Crawdad April 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm

S. Andrews,

"Basically, I think the Earth should be returned to its natural state, a state before humans came along to destroy the planet in the name of selfishness and greed"

"Go kill yourself. That will be a good start."

That cracked me up.

I'm still waiting for all the folks who think like sir trumpit on this issue, or say they do (and there are bunches) to put their money where their mouths are and do their part in saving mother earth. Now that would show some conviction.

So lead the way sir trumpit! The earth needs your sacrifice! Rally your fellow believers and reveal to us, enmasse, how willing you are to sacrifice yourselves upon the altar of your collective beliefs.

Lee Kelly April 22, 2009 at 10:42 pm

TrUmPiT and muirgeo's comments exemplify the poor ecological and evolutionary science that so often accompanies these kind of things.

"If there were no humans then nature would …"

But, once-upon-a-time, there actually weren't any humans, and guess what? That's right, nature created us.

BoscoH April 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm

So one of the things I have the ability to observe is what lots of elementary school kids do in the "science" portion of their day. Invariably to a point beyond comical, "science" means "recycling". I would betray some trusts to provide the evidence, but it's there.

I was talking with my Dad about it the other day and telling him that if I had a 10 year old who came home and told me and his Mom that we had to recycle our cans to save the winged hairy frog, I'd make life miserable for the kid until he said uncle and said "frak the winged hairy frog". My Dad reminded me that I came home once looking for electrical "octopuses" (i.e. 6 way outlet extenders) after some safety presentation at school. And I am amazed that some of my friends didn't manage to rat their parents out for smoking hippie lettuce.

dg lesvic April 22, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Apropos Steve Horwitz, Peter Boettke today, on the subject of whether Hayek and Mises could get anywhere today in the Austrian School:

"As for Mises we are told by multiple sources that he was (among other things, DGL) obnoxious)."

That would have been enough for sweet as sugar Steve Horwitz to have disqualified him.

Jeff Harding April 22, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Brilliant post! Thanks so much.

BTW, I never indoctrinated my son who came back from college with the usual stuff. But now, over the years, I have appealed to his reason and he now sees himself as being libertarian. It's hard to know how they will turn out, but if you encourage them, they just might be OK.

muirgeo April 23, 2009 at 12:06 am

Posted by: vidyohs

Well except for the government pension and health insurance. You go Minarch-Boy!

dg lesvic April 23, 2009 at 12:58 am

Especially as a Jew, I second Boudreaux' thanks for capitalism.

Jews ought to kiss the ground of the laissez faire America that welcomed them in unlimited numbers; and, save laissez faire capitalism and their lives while they still have the chance. For Jews especially:

God Bless America should be God bless laissez faire capitalism.

MHodak April 23, 2009 at 1:17 am

Re: indoctrination, my kids went to private school, and they got as much left-wing gibberish there as you'll find at any public school you can imagine. The head of their social studies department was literally a Marxist.

My kids gently got the "other side" of the story at the dinner table, and were introduced to Atlas Shrugged at strategic moments in their upbringing. They grew up into appropriately skeptical, but not cynical, young men. If I had failed to inoculate them before sending them off to college, I might have ended with up sons trying to save the world instead of live in it.

PorpoiseMuffins April 23, 2009 at 2:40 am

Humans ARE the natural state of the Earth.

Animals kill and eat each other all the time in the name of selfishness and greed, yet when they do it it's called "natural" and when we do it it's not? By all accounts, we're probably the "nicest" species around!

vidyohs April 23, 2009 at 6:13 am

MHodak,

You mean….gasp, that you counter-indoctrinated your children!

Good for you.

vidyohs April 23, 2009 at 6:19 am

muirduck,

Stay on the porch, my little Chihuahua. Your teacup brain isn't capable of handling big dog contest.

Ralph earned his pension from the large corporation, GMC. GMC gets all its money from the people. Ergo, Ralph's pension is paid for by the people.

Vidyohs earned his pension from the large corporation USA. USA gets all its money from the people. Ergo, vidyohs pension is paid for by the people.

The people are the source of all corporate incomes, makes no difference which corporation.

Your teacup brain can't even handle that simple factual concept.

However, in the case of vidyohs, I sincerely hope you personally feel the pain of his pension; furthermore I would be delighted to know that I could trace it all back to you.

Yip on, muirduck.

vidyohs April 23, 2009 at 6:21 am

Oh in addendum, muirduck.

None of us can help it if the corporate USA makes such terrible decisions because it has been in the hands of idiots like you since 1933.

The corporate USA became a failure long before GMC became one.

Political Observer April 23, 2009 at 6:39 am

I think it is interesting that of all of the days in April that the Earth day organizers could pick – the picked Lenin's birthday. Is there a story here?

Anonymous A April 23, 2009 at 6:49 am

Relax folks. Earth Day won't kill you. Please respect, in addition to all that's been mentioned by Don, Mother Earth. Environmentalism isn't about reducing the ability to make money, it's the opposite. It's about having the ability to have markets, growth and prosperity in the future.

Have a nice Earth Day

geoih April 23, 2009 at 7:16 am

Quote from TrUmPiT: "Basically, I think the Earth should be returned to its natural state, a state before humans came along to destroy the planet in the name of selfishness and greed."

Environmetalism has become a religious cult bent on the destruction of it's own species. Come and get your cool-aid.

Adam April 23, 2009 at 7:48 am

vidyohs, personally I agree with what you're saying but there are obviously lots of people who don't feel that taxation is theft. You do, I do, they don't. If you think the state is entitled to take a portion of your assets, it doesn't seem to meet the definition of theft any more – you're willing to go along. Some people proclaim themselves proud to pay taxes, which suggests that it's not the threat of compulsion but a sincere desire to do what they believe to be the "right" thing.

And no, I don't think you're guilty of volume. But to be honest, this comments section isn't a great place for discussion. Too much name-calling. I'm not assigning blame, I'm just pointing it out.

Gil April 23, 2009 at 8:07 am

So in a moment of seriousdom are folks here 'anti-evironmentalist' (cue the late Michael Crichton)? Which is to say they despise the natural organic order? Hasn't human progress been achieved through the elimination of the natural environment? Didn't our medieval ancestors hate the environment because represented all that is dangerous? Sure we will always have trees and cute critters but only because they are profitable for human to have? Wasn't it the Green movement that saw the end of DDT spraying in Africa to preserve the natural order only to have malaria death rates skyrocket in a short time? Or, suppose the Passenger Pigeons did survive and rebuilt their numbers to pre-culling times – would they be viewed as nothing more than a pest and will there be culling seaons, anti-hunting protests and farmers crumbling something along the lines "our ancestors should have finished that pesky bird off when they had the chance!"?

{ 1 trackback }