Private Health Insurance, revisited

by Russ Roberts on August 21, 2009

in Health

Lots of superb comments to this post where I challenged you to talk about why a world without Medicare and only private health insurance might turn out OK. Hoping to add my 2 cents on Monday. In the meanwhile, thanks for all the thoughtfulness.

Comments

comments

Anonymous August 21, 2009 at 6:38 pm

That was a fantastic thread, Russ. Thanks for planting the seed!

johnnyvenom August 21, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I’ve read so far about the elderly and this, to which I agree. But can we run some thoughts about those who are disabled/or have a pre-existing condition? I’ve learned a lot on this site and the Mises site and others. Also, gotten into arguments about the good of the free market with those who just don’t see “it.” But when it comes to healthcare and the disabled (like myself) or those with pre-existing conditions, I’m often struggling to come up with answers.

Sam Grove August 21, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Let’s have tax CREDITS for charitable contributions to the provision of medical care to those that can’t afford to purchase it on their own.

Then we might get an idea if enough people care enough to render government control moot.

sandre August 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm

I don’t like the idea of tax credits being limited to those who donate to a government determined list of charities, which is why I suggested that all health care expenses become tax deductions – without any minimums or ceilings. Which means if Sam Grove wants to pay for the health care of Johnny Venom, who may not even be remotely related or may not even know each other, then Sam Grove gets to deduct it from his taxes – all he needs is a copy of Johnny Venom’s medical bills – which Sam has a right to, since he is paying for it. It doesn’t even have to list the details of the treatment, it just needs the numbers and a seal from the health care facility. This tax credit should be extended to corporations who pay for care of someone.

Sam Grove August 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm

That’s why I said “charitable contributions” rather than “health care charities”. I also think medical personnel, hospitals, and clinics should receive similar tax treatment when they devote time and resources to such provision of care and treatment.

Anonymous August 22, 2009 at 4:11 am

BTW muirduck, thanks for #37.

Or # 37
I’m not the idiot. You just unequvically proved it is you. You obviously don’t know the differnece between single payer (proposed for us) and socialized medicine as exist in Canada and Great Britian.
Posted by muirgeo

God help you, you are indeed a treasure of laughs. In spite of the elementary level (3rd grade tops) spelling, you are indeed a village idiot.

{ 10 trackbacks }