Your chance to star in the next Keynes-Hayek rap video

by Russ Roberts on March 31, 2011

in Film

John Papola and I are hard at work on the next rap video. We are days away from the final version of the music. The major filming will take place April 16 and April 17. We are looking for extras and other roles. Now is your chance for glory. To find out more, go here.

We could also use some more funds to make sure we can take this next project to the highest level. Please donate here.

And it’s a very good time to watch the original as we close in on 2 million views on the main file at YouTube.

Comments

comments

W.E. Heasley March 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Is Dick Dastardly playing the part of Paul Krugman?

Scott G March 31, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Dear Dr. Roberts and Mr. Papola,

I’m a big fan of your “Fear the Boom and Bust” and look forward to the sequel. I consider myself to be extremely passionate about freedom, especially my freedom, and would like to get more involved in creating products and services that spread freedom, such as videos like yours. My specialty is not in economics or film however, though economics is a hobby for me and means for improving my life. I’m an engineer in Silicon Valley who works on laser communication (something that I hope will increase the bandwidth of the internet to mobile devices and thus spread freedom via technology). As far as helping your effort I feel my best role (at the moment) is to donate money, however I would prefer to invest in a for-profit version of Econstories.tv (maybe that’s what emergentorder.com is?). Is that possible or in the works? In other words I’d be willing to invest more in your cause if I could by stock in a company.

Along a similar line of thinking, I would be willing to give more money to your cause if you provided a service to me. Here’s what I’m thinking. Have you considered teaching other interested parties (like myself) how to create films like “Fear the Boom and Bust?” I’d be interested in creating films like this, starting as a hobby and possibly getting more serious about it if I found it enjoyable or profitable. I’d be willing to buy your time on an hourly basis at some fixed rate, maybe just a phone call for 1 hour a week, or maybe access to a special set of lectures which would introduce me and other interested parties to the hobby or job of creating films that teach economics with the emphasis on spontaneous order and freedom. John, you could create a series of videos covering various topics about making films and offer an email or phone based consulting service answering questions and providing advice. One might be a Lessons Learned from “Fear the Boom and Bust” and other might be an introduction to film techniques and hardware used in the making of “Fear the Boom and Bust.” Russ, I believe you could provide a consulting service, similar to what you do now with your graduate students, except instead of guiding them to write masters or PhD theses you would be providing a service to amateur libertarian film makers or to book writing hobbyists/students/authors who want advice or editing services on economics. Let me know if you’re interested. I’d be willing to setup NDAs and write up a contract.

I actually think this model could be used to teach students economics, and somewhat replace and complement the traditional undergraduate and graduate education that economics students currently purchase.

Scott

Mr. Econotarian March 31, 2011 at 5:54 pm

No female economists parts? How about Christina Romer?

Seth April 1, 2011 at 10:55 am

Not an economist, but Rand would be a nice extra.

jpm March 31, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I really like the video but I won’t be donating. It isn’t a rational capital expenditure. On the other hand, I think Russ and Co. could make a fortune if the raffled off the rights to play leading roles.

There have to be rich capitalists all over that would pay big to star as Hayek. and rich Soros types to act as Keynes.

tkwelge April 1, 2011 at 4:22 am

I imagine most libertarians have a face for radio…

Or maybe I should speak for myself :)

Stephan April 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Donations? For your video? The invisible hand of Mister Market directed me away from the donation page? Mister Market says: If there are NO investors who consider this undertaking worthwhile because of their enlightened self-interest this undertaking is NOT worthwhile.

tkwelge April 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Wow, trolls are always the most entertaining when they are completely retarded.