George Selgin ably and eloquently defends his and others’ (such as my colleague Larry White’s) research on free banking against those who do more than quibble with that research’s theoretical and historical foundations.

Here’s Richard Rahn on the responsible, the timid, and the ugly in Washington.

Here’s Robert McGee on the law and economics of Bastiat.

Speaking of Bastiat, Liberty Fund has just released the first volume – The Man and the Statesman: The Correspondence and Articles on Politics – in its six-volume published series of The Collected Works of Frederic Bastiat.

CEI’s Sam Kazman, writing in Cigar Magazine, beautifully exposes the green pollution – ranging from the obnoxiously annoying to the maddeningly counterproductive – emitted from Washington.  (Talk about negative externalities!)

Comments

comments

vikingvista April 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Statism kills,
for your own good.

Scott G April 6, 2011 at 4:17 pm

The Rahn article is fantastic. Posted it on my Facebook wall. Thanks for linking to it.

vikingvista April 7, 2011 at 12:01 am

Although “apoplithorismophobia” has become my new favorite word, I’m skeptical that it will take the vernacular by storm.

mickiexf foggisen April 7, 2011 at 8:02 am

Can you please show links for explaining how math and hess are related? I know some but need more information.
Luminique

B.Stone April 7, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for posting the McGee essay on Bastiat. I just read it through in one setting, having been a fan of Bastiat for several years now (before his most recent resurgence in the Tea Party). What that paper lacked by being redundant at times was made up for in application of Bastiat’s philosophy to modern issues.

Michael E. Marotta April 8, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I was saddened to read Selgin having to defend himself in the QJAE. I just read Hayek’s Denationalisation and it all seemed painfully obvious. Selgin, at least, knows his numismatics. His book on the Buttonmakers became an instant classic among collectors of Conders. It is too bad that Hayek and Rothbard knew so little about the actual stuff. Any active collector of their time could have put into their hands the evidence they needed.

(That said, it is also true that however adept they are on the bourse floor buying and selling money in a huge unregulated market, numismatists also fall into common errors when opining on national politics.)

To argue that banking must be this way or that for everyone all the time is to ignore the reality of the markets. Scientific American long carried ads for answering machines that no one wanted when telecom was a monopoly. No one in 1954 would believe a time-traveler who showed them a telephone you carry in your pocket that takes pictures and plays music and wins at chess. When home computers were launched in the late 1970s, the best suggestion was that they could calculate recipe fractions. After I post this, I have the choice of viewing a disk of classic Star Treks, catching up on a CBS Prime Time Show (NCIS!), or going to YouTube to watch my favorite economics rap video. I confess that I do have a couple of calculators here, but the spreadsheet is for time cards and invoices. Recipes, I still do like grandma taught me.