The Fight of the Century (with Italian subtitles)

by Russ Roberts on April 29, 2011

in Film, Music

Comments

comments

Adam April 29, 2011 at 5:40 pm
Mao_Dung April 29, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Italian is the “bella lingua” or beautiful language. There is a good reason that the most famous operas were written in Italian. The subtitles are a “free” learning tool in the study of the language besides making the video available to Italians. Many famous economists hail from Italy. The Italian economy has been an up and down affair. When it’s been down, it’s led to an exodus of Italians looking for prosperity elsewhere, often to the U.S. Some of the best sports car and luxury goods are made there. This culture, history, food and wines are legendary. I’ve never been to Italy, but I’m going as soon as I possibly can.

tomharvey April 30, 2011 at 2:00 am

serendipity or copycatting? The Economist arrived today with Lady Liberty holding an adjustable wrench on the cover, like Keynes in the video, and for the same reason:

Bill April 30, 2011 at 6:20 am

I was into it until all the hip-hop. Sorry, one thing I can’t get into is hip-hop.

Warren Gibson April 30, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Lighten up, man. This is how you get through to young people. When I showed this in class, they sat up and paid attention and asked lots of good questions afterward.

Bill May 1, 2011 at 2:19 am

Yeah, that I totally agree with. In retrospect, I probably would have been equally put off if it was set to any other genre of music.

I personally would have enjoyed a little more slapstick comedy, much like in the beginning.

Hey, if it works, and I take your word on it, I recant my words and I go with it.

vikingvista April 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Rhyme with a beat. What’s not to like? Rap has the advantage that for the first time in rock and roll history, you can understand the lyrics.

derek April 30, 2011 at 2:21 pm

This is great Russ, we need more!

Michael E. Marotta April 30, 2011 at 6:05 pm

English lyrics would be great, both for “Round Two” and for “Fear the Boom and Bust.” It would help with the use of them as learning tools. The argument is fine for those who already know the ideologies. For teens and other new learners, there are two levels to be understood: the theories of each; and why Hayek is superior.