600,000 Views for Fight of the Century

by Russ Roberts on May 9, 2011

in Music

The Fight of the Century has been out 11 days and has 600,000+ views. Thanks for watching and please continue to share it.

Comments

comments

Speedmaster May 9, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I’m responsible for at least a dozen of those. ;-)

Justin Bowen May 9, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I don’t mean to be a downer, but what’s the Hot Spot graph look like? Are there 600,000 viewers who are watching it because they are genuinely interested in the content or are there 600,000 viewers because a bunch of people who aren’t interested in the content clicked on a video titled Fight of the Century because they thought they were going to see something else?

Methinks1776 May 9, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Interesting..

How does one get this “hot spot” graph?

Justin Bowen May 9, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I think the account-owner has to do it. When you play one of your own videos there’s a bar above the video with a bunch of different options. When you click on the “Insight Stats” link it brings you to a page with some graphs and maps. At the bottom under the “All Videos” title is a link called “Hot Spots.” When you click on that the main frame refreshes with a video to the right and a graph to the left that shows what essentially amounts to the interest level of the audience at every second of the video. It’s pretty straightforward. A graph line that quickly drops off is, in my opinion, evidence of a bunch of people who thought they were going to watch something that they weren’t looking for.

Martin Brock May 11, 2011 at 7:51 am

Quite a few of the views are mine, so I wonder about the total number of viewers. For my money, the video is fantastic, much more accessible and inspirational than the first. I expect it to gather more steam. I’m not a great judge of popularity, but I don’t think much of popular opinion either.

MattW May 9, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Anyone know how long it took the first one to get to the same number of views (100K, 500K…) ?

dietwald May 10, 2011 at 8:23 am

actually smarter than the first, though the first was also more fun. I think. Congrats!

Kevin May 10, 2011 at 8:49 am

Russ has too much class to do this, but I don’t, so… if you have a Youtube account, clicking the “Like” button and adding the video to your Favorites will increase the exposure the video gets.

Chris Koresko May 10, 2011 at 11:42 am

When my 7-year-old daughter saw the first video, we had a conversation like this:
Kaitlin: “Which one is right?”
Me: “No one really knows.”
Kaitlin: “I think the one in glasses is right.”
Me: “Why?”
Kaitlin: “Because the other one wants to steer the economy.”
Smart kid. No idea where she gets it.

SaulOhio May 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I’ll vote for your daughter for President in 2012

Scott G May 10, 2011 at 11:44 am

Russ,

Glad to see the huge ad for “Fight of the Century” at Politico.com this morning!

Scott

MHodak May 11, 2011 at 9:02 am

I think it’s fantastic. Rather make comparisons–I thought the first video was also fantastic–I would note that the pair of videos is worth much more than the parts; the pair demonstrates your production capability as a unique, and hopefully lucrative, avenue of communication and entertainment.

Martin Brock May 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm

In the video, Hayek seems to have a U.S. passport. Was he ever a U.S. citizen?

Martin Brock May 12, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Keynes mysteriously teleports from his chair to the floor of committee room during the discussion of unemployment.