1,000,000 views and counting

by Russ Roberts on July 21, 2011

in Film, Music

The Fight of the Century now has over 1,000,000 views. It took about 12 weeks. We have a long way to go to catch Fear the Boom and Bust, so please watch and share.

Comments

comments

Kirby July 21, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Nice fight, but I don’t get how Keynes won when Hayek got the last word?

Chris Bowyer July 21, 2011 at 9:39 pm

That’s the joke.

Kirby July 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm

oh.

Kirby July 21, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Oh, I thought it was a wikipedia-style unbiased thing.

yet another Dave July 22, 2011 at 3:44 pm

You think wikipedia is unbiased?

Kirby July 22, 2011 at 6:07 pm

They try.

Ken July 21, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Kirby,

Because Keynesianism remains the most dominant school of thought today, despite Hayek’s powerful critique. It’s why both Keynes and Hayek look surprised after Keynes gets knocked down, yet is declared the victor.

Regards,
Ken

Mesa Econoguy July 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I’m still stunned by Papola’s dead ringer stand-in for the Bernank.

vikingvista July 22, 2011 at 2:00 am

Hmm. Maybe we can manage a scheme to secretly switch Papa Papola for the Bernank. I don’t know what experience the former has, but he couldn’t do any worse.

Paul Andrews July 22, 2011 at 3:08 am

Russ you should win a Nobel or something for your services to humanity. Just watched both for the first time and am blown away. I am so happy that millions have seen these.

Scott G July 22, 2011 at 8:24 am

I second the Nobel for Russ, mainly for Econtalk, but also for the rap videos.

Jim E July 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

Russ, I’ve watched this five or six times, loved it every time. But I have a suggestion for your next video: if Mike Munger can play a small role, how about a Russ Roberts cameo next time?

Jim

Chucklehead July 22, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Why stop there? You should also include Don, Walt Williams, Arnold Kling, Veronique de Rugy, Tyler Cowen, Karol Boudreaux, Thomas Sowell, John Taylor, and others. It would be a modern day version of the Carl Menger Photo Collection, consisting of over 200 photographs of European economists who were known to Menger during his lifetime.

Russ Roberts July 22, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I’m actually in this one if you know where to look…

Chucklehead July 23, 2011 at 12:39 am

Third row behind the mic?

Alexander M July 23, 2011 at 3:05 am

Last row, just little right from the man with tv-cam at 01:12? Seems like a familiar face…

Martin Brock July 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Good eye. I missed that one.

Martin Brock July 23, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Lower left corner at 7:20.

I downloaded the video to my tablet weeks ago, so I’ve denied you at least a dozen youtube views since then, but you got one more out of me with the cameo maneuver.

SaulOhio July 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I don’t think that the same person watching the video ever counts more than once. They keep track of whether or not you have seen it yet.

Jim E July 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Ok, I found both instances mentioned by others: 1:12 and 7:21, in the lower left corner of the screen. Chucklehead’s idea is even better, but since you probably can’t get all those people, how about a short speaking role for Russ Roberts — after all, he is one of the two movers behind these great videos!

Piet le Roux July 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm

That total omits the two times a day I listen to it driving the 7 minutes to work and back, almost without fail since Round 2 was released. Actually, I usually listen to the Fight of the Century in the mornings, and Boom and Bust in the afternoon on the way home.

Needles to say, I’ve memorised both by now and find it really useful for paraphrased rebuttals to everyday fallacies I come across.

Don July 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm

“Russ Roberts, former Econ Prof turned Media Mogul joins us today…”

Congrats Russ! You and your crew deserve all the hurrah’s and attaboys you can get on these!

vikingvista July 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I never get tired of watching these. Masterpieces in every respect.

indianajim July 22, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Each view is another contribution to the death by N million (billion?) cuts needed to bury vulgar Keynesianism. Keep cuttin’ away Russ!

Chucklehead July 22, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Have you seen the praxeology videos on you tube? http://www.youtube.com/user/praxgirl
Not the production or musical quality of the Roberts/Papola collaboration but effective. Plus she is cuter than Keynes or Hayek.

vikingvista July 22, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Whoa! Dude! Thanks!

vikingvista July 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm

She’s wonderful.

Chucklehead July 22, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Who Is Your Favorite Economist? Keynes, Hayek and Roberts are on the list along with Williams, Sowell, Mises,& Marx.

ArrowSmith July 22, 2011 at 4:13 pm

The reason why Keynes wins is that the average person wants to believe in the power of government.

Kirby July 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm

The problem with Democracy is that the average person is stupid. And they do NOT balance out. Some stupid things that the average person (or too many people) believes:
Keynesian economics
pro-life
welfare state
protectionism
religion (not starting a debate, but no matter what religion you are at least 20% of the population is wrong).
institutionalized racism (all kinds)

Alexander M July 23, 2011 at 3:18 am

I wouldn’t go far as say Welfare state or Keynesian economics as “stupid things”. I’m myself from Finland, where we have history of semi-working extended-welfare system, what I’ve seen as a good thing and what makes our country a good place to live. I’m not still saying it’s perfect but far from stupid.

As for Keynesian economics, essentially saying it stupid makes lots of people who lived during the golden age of Keynesian economics after WWII stupid. I would prefer saying “misleading”. It has it’s points and wrongs but what doesn’t? I’m only asking for little fairness, not full barrage.

I’ve started recently learning economics just bit by bit but I like Roberts way of handling things as non-offensive.

Alexander M

Paul Andrews July 26, 2011 at 3:46 am

That and he’s the one giving away free money.

WabashJack July 23, 2011 at 2:27 am

It will never catch up to “Fear the Boom and Bust” because whenever I watch one, I immediately watch the other. When I show one video to friends, they watch the other one as well. Great job!

Eric Hammer July 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Definitely a well deserved view count; here’s hoping it continues!

Speaking of downloading, is there a way to get these videos on DVD, or even an easier way to download? I have been teaching some economic concepts to to summer school kids, and I think they would really get a kick out of the videos, as well as seeing some of the ideas put into practice in the economy (in the theoretical, how does this affect political decisions making sense.) Trouble is that I don’t know if I can get internet access in the room, or even if I can hook up my laptop to the TV if I can get it :(

Thanks again!