Kung Fu Panda 2

by Russ Roberts on July 5, 2011

in Film

Took my kids to see Kung Fu Panda 2. I saw the first one–thought it was fair. The sequel is much better. The story is sweet and Jack Black (the voice of the main character) is funny. But the imagery is just gorgeous. Obviously animated films like this have improved over time. But it isn’t just the animation but the ability to visually tell the story as a director, that makes a film like this so entertaining and beautiful. And it’s just going to get better.

UPDATE: BTW, I saw it in 2D. Might go see it again in 3D.

Comments

comments

Kirby July 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm

It’s also going to cost more. We must regulate Kung Fu Panda!

Gordon Richens July 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm

“It’s also going to cost more.”

I blame Big Kung Fu.

Kirby July 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm

No, it was Jack Black’s ruthless exploitation of the poor working-actors that is driving up prices.

Esther July 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I think it was one of the best films for the beginning of the summer. I liked it so much, I saved it for later, and put it on my site to share. Transformers 3 and Green Lantern are two other favourites.

Esther July 5, 2011 at 7:31 pm

http://mediafired.tk for:

Kung Fu Panda 2
Green Lantern
Transformers 3
Hangover 2
Bridesmaids
Pirates Caribbean 4
Cars 2
X-men 1st Class

After watching them all, I like Cars 2 and KFP 2 the best.

Moggio July 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Too fast or too much information for my kids (and me!)…

Mark Anthem July 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm

What about the road-2-serfdom as an animated cautionary & explanatory tale of how empires in the past collapse & how our own eventually may too.
There may be lots of college kids willing to work on spec using low cost & free internet animation software.

Kirby July 5, 2011 at 2:45 pm

to make 2 hour good quality movies you’d need a helluva invention.

Ron H. July 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Maybe not; after all, the horror movie “Children of the Corn”, from 1984 was based on a Stephen King short story that’s all of 29 pages long.

Ron H. July 5, 2011 at 6:30 pm

…but then again, you did specify “good quality”, didn’t you.

SweetLiberty July 5, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Every time I get depressed by the news or politics, I find some measure of hope for the future in mankind’s innovations. Though at a base level, perhaps things haven’t changed all that much. Twenty thousand years ago people would have gathered in a cave to watch Fred and Barney perform live theater; today, magic pixels dance before our eyes to tell a tale. The venue has certainly improved, but the core desire for entertaining stories remains ever constant.

Kirby July 5, 2011 at 3:00 pm

People don’t change ourselves, we just change the environment.

SweetLiberty July 5, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Damn, the liberals were right! We are all environmentalists!

BonnieBlueFlag July 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm

The “Kung-Fu Panda” movies have a very twisted message for children. Basically, discipline is not as richly rewarded as sloth. Jack Black has no work ethic, yet is stronger than those who have dedicated their lives to the pursuit of perfection. No matter how visually appealing, these movies teach entitlement and privilege over discipline and sacrifice.

Steve_0 July 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

What about Harry Potter?
Fork + eye.

BonnieBlueFlag July 5, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Same scenario – boy inherits awesome powers without lifting a finger.

T Rich July 5, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I don’t know, Harry seems to work to develop his natural gifts and he consistently puts himself at great peril while trying to protect his friends and do what is right. Again, it is a combination of natural talent and effort/risk that leads to the success he achieves.

T Rich July 5, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I agree to an extent. There is, however, a physical “blessing” extent to everything. Michael Jordan is a poor analogy because he worked extremely hard; however, if I worked as hard (or harder than him) I would not have been as good because I am only 5′ 11″ with only average top speed (but I could (back in the day) dunk a basketball).

Perhaps you should just see that the Panda character actually does grow in some respects and that bumbling his way to success is what is known as “entertaining.” So, relax and enjoy. BUT, do talk to your kids about the mixed message – it is a good opportunity to reinforce the accurate belief that hard work combined with natural talent results in maximum achievement.

Dan J July 6, 2011 at 12:15 am

Spud Webb….. Jim Abbot…..

T Rich July 6, 2011 at 1:13 am

Think shorter, Muggsy Bogues.

I didn’t say or even imply that it was impossible to be in the NBA at under whatever height. Neither player that you mentioned was as good as MJ (I realize that is not a fair comparison). Actually, Spud Webb had amazing natural talents. I was a soccer player at NCSU when Webb was a point guard for the Wolfpack. I passed him many times in the athletic buildings and he was not a millimeter over 5′ 7″ or more than maybe 135 pounds. However, he had an astronomical vertical (somewhere around 47″ I believe, and was as quick as anyone I have ever seen in any sport (I remember Danny Ainge playing about 10 feet off of him in a playoff series between Atlanta and the Celtics – Ainge still didn’t have a prayer)). Webb also had a ton of courage to take the ball to the hoop against much bigger players. Also, seeing him on the practice court, I can attest to the work he put in. Finally, he seemed to be a nice, humble person.

Dan J July 5, 2011 at 11:57 pm

The Panda did work in the first film. He couldn’t have the food till he was able to successfully win it from his teacher.
Harry potter is depicted as having powers, but though out he movie we learn it is luck and the help of friends that allow for his survival. He lived due to his parents wisdom. They cast a simple protective spell. Then it was the help of the wise old wizard and dedicated friends . His abilities and aura of power was indeed tall tale.
If your children see otherwise… Parental Guidance is suggested. PG….

Tim July 7, 2011 at 11:26 am

Actually, the message of the first Kung-Fu Panda was that you needed to work within what you are capable of — that you are at your best when you strive to become the best *you* you can be.

All of the kung-fu masters depicted in the first film use a style that is similar to their animal. Po success occurred when mastered Panda-style.

Corey July 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I avoided this one due to the lax reviews, a decision I’m beginning to regret more and more these days. I might see it now after all.

But more than anything I’m surprised at how much I’m looking forward to the upcoming Tintin picture after reading this post.

Billi Huyard July 16, 2011 at 10:10 am

Your by no means to old to start your Martial Arts Training, however you do have to keep in mind at our age your body takes longer to recover.