Unsubscribing, Part II

by Russ Roberts on September 23, 2011

in Weblogs

If you are a daily subscriber to Cafe Hayek and wish to unsubscribe, just scroll to the bottom of the email you receive each day and you will find an option to click to “unsubscribe.”

We are hoping to solve the problem of multiple emails. It hasn’t happened to me so that is kind of weird.

Comments

comments

RALechner September 23, 2011 at 10:45 am

Russ, Don: Here’s what’s odd…comparing my emails to a colleague in the office…his dailies from Cafe Hayek are in HTML format and they all have the usual ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom. Mine are always TEXT versions and don’t have the unsubscribe link. Today I got 34 of them, so far, and none have the unsubscribe link at the bottom.

More data for you to chase that ghost in the machine, hopefully.

Best,
Free To Choose Network
Bob Lechner

Chris Bowyer September 23, 2011 at 10:45 am

As someone who’s run newsletters before, the fact is that no matter how easy you make it, people won’t avail themselves of the option. Even though it’s far easier to click the Unsubscribe link that’s at the bottom of EVERY reputable mailing than it is to send an email requesting to be unsubscribed, it’s stunning how many people will opt for the latter.

vikingvista September 23, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I used to click unsubscribe, until I got sick of having to unsubscribe to countless junk emails. Now I just report them as spam. I don’t have time in each case to investigate if there was some checkbox somewhere that I didn’t uncheck that supposedly meant I agreed to be pummelled by garbage. And I don’t have time to go through a questionairre every time I click unsubscribe. Report as spam–one click and its gone forever.

Cafe Hayek is not one of those sources for me, however.

RALechner September 23, 2011 at 10:58 am

Yep, it’s the TEXT version that went rogue…looked at yet another colleague’s multiple copies of today’s CH email and he got about 3 dozen also–the TEXT version. No unsubscribe link at all. And the colleague I mentioned above, who receives an HTML version, got the usual single email today with unsubscribe. No multiples for him. Just FYI.

BobL

Wendy Wolfe September 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I get the TEXT version & therefore do not have an “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the daily email.

Can I (how can I…) request that my daily update be sent in HTML? The website doesn’t present the option. If I can get myself to the HTML versions of the update, I’m capable of unsubscribing myself.

Thanks
-w

Economic Freedom September 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm

What Don and Russ should really investigate is how to incorporate an “edit” feature in the posts, so that we can repair HTML tags.