≡ Menu

Quotation of the Day…

… is from page 355 of the 2016 second edition of Thomas Sowell’s important volume Wealth, Poverty and Politics:

To say, as [John] Rawls does, that unjust rewards may be tolerated only to the extent necessary to benefit people in “the poorer sectors of society,” raises both factual and moral issues. As we have seen, the poorer sectors of American society, as defined by income, are a transient group, disproportionately of the younger and less experienced workers, and no one remains younger for life. Among the small proportion – 5 percent – of those in the bottom income quintile who remain there over the years, while the other 95 percent of those initially in that quintile move on up, it cannot arbitrarily be assumed that this unusual fate can have nothing to do with the way they have chosen to live their lives.