Oh Che Can You See?

by Russ Roberts on May 4, 2006

in Immigration

On the Fence Films, the group that brought us "Dead Meat," has a four minute film on the role of Marxists on the recent immigration protests earlier this week.

You can find the video here.

Lots of Che t-shirts.

I did see a very tepid and tiny protest on Monday when I was out in California. Did anyone else go to one in a major city? Was there the kind of influence that On the Fence portrays?

Comments

comments

Add a Comment    Share Share    Print    Email

Don May 4, 2006 at 3:58 pm

Yes, New York City. Big time influence.

Robert Cote May 4, 2006 at 4:50 pm

Marxists aren't stupid, they know ilegal immigration harms the American model. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

John Pertz May 4, 2006 at 10:20 pm

If anything this just speaks to the fact that people generally do not understand their political ideology. I bet many of those people wearing Guevara shirts also wanted open immigration to the U.S. Che Guevara would not be caugh dead at a U.S immigration rally if he had the chance. The U.S, to a man of his ideology, represents everything that he is opposed to. Therefore it would make zero sense for any of his followers to rally for ever greater amounts of people to come to a place that they regaurd as the enemy.

Mace May 5, 2006 at 11:03 am

But you see, if the press did start reporting on the involvement of the extreme Leftist groups, they would no longer be invited to all of the ultrahip, elitist cocktail parties…

shecky May 5, 2006 at 11:36 am

How does illegal immigration harm the "American model"?

John Pertz may be on to something. Where would Che stand on the issue of millions of illegal immigrants chasing dollars much to the success of the US?

WMCW May 5, 2006 at 12:53 pm

I saw an interesting Che Guevara t-shirt here in Buenos Aires, Argentina, with the following writing printed: "I never expected to become a T-shirt".
As a south-american libertarian I think that these groups are just capable of victimization and cannot be more than free riders causing sad negative externalities to mankind.
Once I asked a trotskyist person that i knew at university and needed help: "why donĀ“t you come to the countryside (a rural area where i was living then) I can help you starting an entrepreneurship like mine (it was beekeeping), i can introduce you to the local school, you can become a helpful rural teacher, you can participate in the local cooperative, and many other things. You can fight poverty from many fronts!" This revolutionary intellectual college guevarist that needed help answered me: "i did not went to university to become a beekeeper!"
Later this person got a scholarship and foreign aid to study abroad (UK, USA).

Anyway i vote for a world free of passports and green cards.

liberty May 5, 2006 at 3:13 pm

>Therefore it would make zero sense for any of his followers to rally for ever greater amounts of people to come to a place that they regaurd as the enemy.

Not necessarily. The communist party line coming from Moscow could easily have gotten behind there kind of immigration rallies, simply because they in favor of destroying the US internally by undermining our rule of law, and bringing in many who are not respectful of our laws and tradition and would help to bring radical change or make it possible to corrupt or destroy us. The USSR wanted to see revolution here, so any general strike or huge rally and potentially riot, would have been favorable.