The Next Generation

by Don Boudreaux on August 20, 2008

in The Economy, Weblogs

My eleven-year-old son, Thomas — fencer and Treky — has started his own blog (which I will contribute to frequently).  The name of this new blog is The Next Generation (HT Karol Boudreaux).  I especially like Thomas’s new post about iPods, the Beatles, and markets.

Comments

comments

Speedmaster August 20, 2008 at 10:16 am

Well-done! I'll take a look. ;-)

Martin Brock August 20, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Nepotism springs eternal.

LowcountryJoe August 20, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I was very tempted to post on Thomas' first thread, using the alias "muirgeo" while writing some type of trolling comment.

Common sense and decency ended up prevailing.

David P. Graf August 20, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Don,

As someone who has been involved with computers for a few decades, I STRONGLY recommend that your son discontinue the blog immediately. What he puts out on that site can be used against him for the rest of his life. If adults want to do that, it's their life, but you don't expect teenagers to have enough common sense to realize what should and should not go into a blog.

Jim August 20, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Wow, that's a smart kid.

adina August 20, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Your kid is adorable and, I'm sorry to say, much brighter than many of my twenty-something peers. I disagree with David Graf about your son's opinions potentially being held against him. Nobody worthwhile would be silly enough to discriminate against a 40-year-old, based on some blog he wrote when he was 11. You're teaching him to construct arguments effectively, express his opinions without fear, and to to maturely handle criticism. These are crucial skills that will help him throughout life.

The Dirty Mac August 21, 2008 at 9:31 am

"Nobody worthwhile would be silly enough to discriminate against a 40-year-old, based on some blog he wrote when he was 11."

Good to know as I was a big McGovern supporter back in the day.

mk August 21, 2008 at 10:58 am

Good to see the child has been thoroughly brainwashed as a pre-adolescent.

Methinks August 21, 2008 at 2:10 pm

I know, MK. It's terrible. The poor brainwashed spawn thinks pleasing your fellow man is a good thing. I can only assume he's had a poor upbringing and we can rely on you to re-educate him in Obama's "volunteer" army of young "civil servants" when the time comes.