Hans Rosling again

by Russ Roberts on March 30, 2011

in Standard of Living

Don blogged on this earlier but I think this video of Hans Rosling talking lyrically about washing machines is worth embedding to make sure you don’t miss it. Superb.

Comments

comments

Tim March 30, 2011 at 9:26 am

I did watch this earlier. And who knew the the washing machine was up there with the printing press as one of the worlds important inventions. As usual Hans Rosling is fun to listen to.

Krishnan March 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

Everytime I hear some “Global Warming” religious fanatic demand that the world use less energy and create less CO2 or whatever – I get furious. While they enjoy the electricity and wash their jeans and cars and travel wherever they want to – they want to restrict energy use by poor people whose lives can be immensely changed for the better because of it … The clothes machine is but one example of how development and innovation has allowed us the luxury of time to invent more things and enjoy the thinking power of people from all over the world …

jjoxman March 30, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I have this experience pretty regularly. One of the worst was some guy who I noticed drove a bid diesel truck. It was a hot day in summer and we were at the gas pump. He said “boy this global warming is something, huh?” Thinking he was joking, I replied “yeah, that recurring summer is a real bear.” Then he got quite serious about the whole thing, saying it was a real danger and we needed to cut back on energy consumption. I drive a little car, and pointed at his big diesel and said “you first.” He got quite irate about the whole thing. I rather enjoyed myself.

Richard Stands March 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Thanks. I needed a chuckle :)

brotio March 31, 2011 at 12:35 am

Cardinal Yasafi Torquemuirduck of The Church of AGW, which is led by His Holiness: The Divine Prophet Algore I will be paying you a visit soon to remind you that only members-in-good-standing in the Church are allowed to spew CO2 like it’s air.

PragmaticMind March 30, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Loved it! I think it was my favorite one of his yet

jpm March 30, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I don’t know why no one commended on Han’s statement that “global warming (man made) is all but proven” or some such gibberish, then makes the statement that the upper energy users have no right to restrict the lower energy users. As that makes him pro freedom and pro prosperity. Of course the upper energy users HAVE to be restricted. That is only right, given “global warming is all but proven”.

There’s nothing worse than a phony socialist propagandist masking himself as pro freedom/prosperity.

Krishnan March 31, 2011 at 8:02 am

Well … Hans is wrong on the Global Warming issue.

geckonomist March 31, 2011 at 9:04 am

I watched the video together with people who don’t have a washing machine because they can’t afford.

Gives the video an extra dimension.

Krishnan March 31, 2011 at 9:54 am

Or watch the video with someone who grew up without the washing machines or other conveniences we take for granted today (where almost anyone can afford so much of life’s “little luxuries”)

I enjoyed the ending – it reminded us what can happen when we have time … Reading for example!