Snow Domes and Baseball Caps

by Don Boudreaux on April 7, 2011

in Country Problems, Trade, Video

Must-see t.v.: this Reason.tv video pitting the misguided protectionist Sen. Bernie Sanders against Cato’s eloquent and informed Sallie James.

Comments

comments

tms April 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Brilliant! Can someone forward this to Donald Trump?

Matt April 7, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I would like to “take a position under” Sallie James at the Cato Institute.

Argosy Jones April 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm

These think tanks can be viscious “slave” drivers, so you might be begging for release at the end of the day. Daily submissions, should they prove inadequate, are met with unremitting discipline- it can be a real chamber of horrors. There are those who gag at the prospect, but many have a ball. some chafe at being bound to rigid systems, but others are aroused to great achievements.

So go in with both eyes open.

John V April 7, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Superb.

The interviews with naive, well-meaning people steeped in good intentions and sophistry made me think of Caplan’s book “Myth of the Rational Voter”.

vikingvista April 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I have a hard time accepting that people who openly advocate threats of armed aggression directed against innocent people are “well-meaning”.

Scott G April 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Without a graph or some other data showing US manufacturing output relative to the rest of the world this video only gets 4.5 stars out of 5 from me. Wonderful otherwise however.

Methinks1776 April 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm

They gave you a smart, pretty girl and you’re complaining you didn’t get another graph to look at? What’s the matter with you?

Scott G April 8, 2011 at 12:34 am

:) She’s pretty and I like the way she says snow domes and baseball caps, but without the graph I can’t bring myself to post it on Facebook. Sorry Methinks – I discriminate.

vikingvista April 8, 2011 at 4:28 am

For me, it was the accent that was most persuasive.

Methinks1776 April 7, 2011 at 10:43 pm

It did occur to me how much better off we’d be if Bernie Sanders were making snow globes instead of wreaking havoc in congress. At least he’d be useful.

Richard Stands April 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm

*Like*

LowcountryJoe April 8, 2011 at 2:19 am

Indeed! I like this, too.

John V April 8, 2011 at 10:15 am

LOL

Ron H April 8, 2011 at 2:59 pm

*like*

Harold Cockerill April 8, 2011 at 6:09 pm

When he shakes his head you can see the snow behind his eyes.

Don April 8, 2011 at 10:41 am

I concur with Mr. Sanders. In fact I propose we take it one step further, we should RETURN all the Smithsonian related items that are imported to the country of origin… including the Smithsonian itself, returning it, brick-by-brick to the heirs of Mr. Smithson of England.

Idiots!

Michael E. Marotta April 10, 2011 at 10:05 am

I must dissent.

I understand comparative advantage. However, we could make bobbleheads and snowdomes here at a profit, but for the regulations that made industry unaffordable. China has been experiencing “the largest human migration in history” as millions of underaged workers – girls, largely – come to the cities to work in factories. Our own children are prohibited from working. Unions, minimum wage laws, income and capital gains taxes all rest on a deep foundation of an erroneous philosophy of entitlement — which includes the silly claim of this young girl from Cato that service sector jobs are preferable to manufacturing. A high school computer nerd could build a basement workshop to produce such things, but for the laws and the belief that it is beneath us to get axle grease on our hands.

patricia allen April 11, 2011 at 6:28 am

I have been searching and searching for the ultimate snow dome for my daughter’s first Christmas. Would like this as a keep sake that she can treasure forever. Don’t mind how much it costs.