Some Links

by Don Boudreaux on April 4, 2011

in Balance of Payments, Competition, Crony Capitalism, Cuba, Energy, FDA, Health, Myths and Fallacies, Taxes, Trade

Janitors – like G.E. shareholders – pay no taxes!  (Or so should say Sen. Bernie Sanders).  Steve Landsburg puts it all in proper perspective.

In today’s New York Times, my friend David White argues eloquently against a G.O.P.-sponsored proposal on Capitol Hill to allow state-level protection of wine wholesalers.  These wholesalers don’t want to compete with wineries who are now allowed to ship wine directly (the horrors!) to out-of-state customers.  Speaking as a wino – but even more as an economist – I can only cheer David’s superb essay.

In today’s Investor’s Business Daily I try to calm fears that America is ‘running out of oil.’  (Coincidentally, David White – see above – was instrumental in helping me with this essay on oil.)

Here’s the Wall Street Journal‘s Mary Anastasia O’Grady on Jimmy Carter’s recent visit to Cuba and his making nice with the Brothers Castro.

Jim DeLong explains some of the dangers of centralized medical-care provision.

Veronique de Rugy argues powerfully for the elimination of the Alternative Minimum Tax.

Mark Perry posts a telling picture of the U.S. balance of payments.

And here Bob Higgs remembers his mom.

Comments

comments

Daniel Kuehn April 4, 2011 at 11:11 am

The wine shipping restrictions are absurd.

However – they have the benefit of giving my wife and I the opportunity to be subversive smugglers for friends living in particularly restrictive states, which is kind of cool. Then again, it didn’t work out how “bootleggers and Baptist” situations are supposed to. We made a profit off it (one of the bottles), but we still don’t like the restrictions. I suppose we’d have to make much bigger profit to potentially fit the “bootleggers and Baptists” story.

Methinks1776 April 4, 2011 at 11:56 am

I knew you were a criminal at heart, Keuhn :)

vikingvista April 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm

“my wife and I the opportunity to be subversive smugglers”

In all the time I’ve been at the Cafe, this is the first time I’ve had an inkling of admiration for you. Keep up the civil disobedience! Fight state oppression!

Daniel Kuehn April 4, 2011 at 11:14 am

You also might be interested in this: http://search.urban.org/texis/search/main.html?query=%22Alternative+Minimum+tax%22&pr=wwwurban&prox=page&rorder=500&rprox=500&rdfreq=500&rwfreq=750&rlead=750&rdepth=0&sufs=0&order=r&mode=&opts=&cq=&dropXSL=html

201 of our publications on the AMT. The Urban Institute has been beating this drum for a long time – it’s good to see Veronique on the job too.

E.G. April 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Loved the GE piece. Didn’t know there were such professors at U of R. Might be worth a second look.

kyle8 April 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm

The wine industry here in Texas has really taken off in recent years. AFTER the state government lifted a lot of regulations. We can now get out of state wine shipped in, and guess what? It did not ruin the local wineries.

BTW I am scheduled this weekend to go on a Texas wine trail tasting trip and combine it with viewing the spring flowers and the bluebonnets.

If you have never been to Texas in April, I suggest you schedule it as a vacation one day. It is really something else to see.

Some pictures of last years flowers that I took can be seen here.

Methinks1776 April 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Kyle, the photos of Texas are beautiful and all (well, done on the photography, btw), but the cat takes the cake!

vikingvista April 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I wish you wouldn’t do that. Maintaining Texas’s stereotyped reputation as a gun-toting individualist hick wasteland devoid of civility and culture is important to attracting the right kind of people and keeping the worst from joining the voting roles.

But in your defense, the overall quality of life available in Texas, especially from a cost/benefit standpoint, is simply marvelous, from any perspective.

John Dewey April 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm

**** Like ****

Daniel Kuehn April 5, 2011 at 7:04 am

The only problem is you all drink too much of it!… most Texas wine stays in-state. I’ve only had it in-state.

The thing about wine is that its consumption is closely associated with a wine culture not only is competition not going to hurt a domestic industry – it’s likely to help it. If more Texans get into wine in general, they’re definitely going to be interested in their own wine.

vikingvista April 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Reading some comments on Perry’s blog, I see people continue to think that the Federal government’s decision to consume vast quantities of valuable investment capital is an import-export problem.

John Dewey April 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm

FYI, I comment as “Jet Beagle” over at Mark’s blog. I hope it was not my comments which caused you concern.

vikingvista April 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I doubt it. More than likely it would be someone you were arguing against.

vikingvista April 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Some people think that increasing proven oil reserves involves the employment of teams of experienced geological engineers, surveyors, expensive drilling and underground imaging equipment, laboratories, and years of trial and error.

Who would’ve thought that all it really takes is a President and pen?

tdp April 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm